Refrigeration Certification Programs with Training Requirements
Refrigeration technician certificate programs teach students the skills and techniques needed to take certification examinations in the field. Students typically learn how to work with refrigerants safely and within the limits of the law.
In order to apply for refrigeration certification, individuals must complete a training program, such as a certificate program. A refrigeration technician certificate program teaches students how to perform refrigeration repair and service procedures. Programs cover troubleshooting techniques and refrigeration system design. Students typically learn to use tools properly and to create a repair or service plan. Graduates should verify the need for licensure to work as a refrigeration technician, since some states require this credential.
- Program Levels in Refrigerator Technology: Associate's degree
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or equivalent
- Other Requirements: Practicum
Certification in Refrigeration Technology
Courses in a refrigeration technician certificate program cover technical math skills, electrical skills and refrigeration systems. Students will usually participate in a practicum where they can practice troubleshooting and repair techniques on a refrigeration model. Topics covered in a program may include:
- Transport refrigeration
- Electrical wiring and coding
- Air conditioning systems
- Service tools
- Commercial refrigeration systems
- Residential refrigeration systems
Popular Career Options
Refrigeration technician certificate programs are typically designed to prepare graduates to become refrigeration technicians. Individuals may work in commercial or residential situations. They may install, repair or service equipment. Technicians may work for:
- Food service companies
- Vending companies
Certification and Licensure Information
All technicians who works with refrigerants must be certified, so most refrigeration technician programs prepare students to take mandatory federal refrigeration certification tests upon graduation. Individuals gain certification by passing an examination that is administered by an organization approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. This can include a variety of organizations, such as trade schools or unions. The three available exam areas include low-pressure refrigerants, small appliance servicing and high-pressure refrigerants. Additionally, refrigeration mechanics may be required to earn licensure in some states, which could require a minimum amount of work experience or the completion of an apprenticeship.
Related to Refrigeration Certificate
- Recently Updated
A certificate in refrigeration can offer students training and hands-on experience working with residential and commercial...
Refrigeration certification falls under heating, ventilation, air-conditioning (HVAC) certification and those who meet certain...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a refrigeration mechanic. Get a quick view of the requirements as...
Online courses in heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC-R) are offered for students and working...
- Refrigeration & Cooling Technician: Job Duties & Career Requirements
- Bachelor of Heating Air Conditioning & Refrigeration: Degree Overview
- Associate's in HVAC & Refrigeration Technology: Degree Overview
- Equine Genetics Training and Education Program Summaries
- HR Management Masters Degree Program Overviews
- Environmental Health Jobs: Options and Requirements
- Public Safety & Security Doctoral Degree Program Overviews
- Top Schools for HVAC & Refrigeration Maintenance
- Refrigeration Technology Training, Education and Career Information
- Associate of Computer Systems & Networking Technology: Degree Overview
- Associate in Arts Degree (AA): Marketing Degree Overview
- Publications Coordinator: Job Description and Requirements
- Top School Offering Programs for Becoming a Professional Web Designer - Tucson AZ
- Audio Technician Career Profile for the Audio Technology Professions
- Computer Science Degree Top School for Computer Programming and Computer Science - Birmingham AL
- Marriage and Family Therapy Diploma Programs in Texas