Reston itself may be lacking in public and private schools, but it is close enough to other towns that a Reston resident can still find a school nearby. Schools in the area run the gamut from an affordable two-year community college to prestigious four-year private universities. We take a look at just a few of these traditional options with information found from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Reston, Virginia
The closest schools to Reston tend to be private institutions. A few of these nearby schools offer graduate degree programs for students as well as undergraduate programs.
- University of the Potomac-VA Campus (4.8 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Chantilly (7.7 miles from downtown)
- Columbia College (8.3 miles from downtown)
- George Mason University (8.3 miles from downtown)
- Stratford University (8.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Reston, Virginia
The largest schools near Reston are, again, mostly private institutions, but the two largest schools are public. The majority of the larger institutions in the area are 4-year schools, though the largest of all is a community college.
- Northern Virginia Community College (52,078 students)
- George Mason University (33,929 students)
- Strayer University-Virginia (6,473 students)
- Marymount University (3,363 students)
- Stratford University (3,303 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
From the $6,000 range to the $35,000 range, Reston's schools (including specialty schools) have a variety of ranges for net prices for 2014-2015. The net price of a school is calculated by taking the total attendance cost on average and subtracting the average financial aid award from it for a full-time undergrad.
- Northern Virginia Community College ($8,965)
- Columbia College ($9,793)
- University of Management and Technology ($12,801)
- Argosy University-Washington DC ($14,471)
- George Mason University ($17,316)
Highest Graduation Rates
Reston's traditional schools with the highest graduation rates have rates from 0% to 69% according to the NCES for 2015. Graduation rates from the NCES look at the full-time undergraduate students who finish their programs within the normal time as well as those who graduate within 150% of the program's standard time.
- George Mason University (69% graduation rate)
- Columbia College (62% graduation rate)
- Marymount University (50% graduation rate)
- Stratford University (40% graduation rate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Springfield (39% graduation rate)
There are plenty of private and public schools for students near Reston, VA, to choose from when searching for schools with a particular location, size, price, and/or graduation rate.