The majority of postsecondary institutions found in the San Marcos, TX, area are trade or vocational schools focusing on beauty and technical and medical careers. We use the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to compare the traditional schools within four categories so students can make an informed decision about which institution works best for them.
Closest Schools to San Marcos, Texas
Some students may wish to attend school close to home or a place of work. For students near San Marcos, the closest schools are primarily 4-year institutions or less than 2-year specialty schools.
- Texas State University (located downtown)
- Texas Lutheran University (21.7 miles from downtown)
- National American University-Austin South (24 miles from downtown)
- Saint Edward's University (27.2 miles from downtown)
- Huston-Tillotson University (29.8 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near San Marcos, Texas
The largest schools near San Marcos are an even split of public and private institutions. All the larger schools, besides the community college, offer graduate level programs in addition to undergraduate programs.
- The University of Texas at Austin (51,313 students)
- Austin Community College District (40,949 students)
- Texas State University (36,739 students)
- Saint Edward's University (4,686 students)
- Texas Lutheran University (1,320 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Cost
The average net cost for full-time beginning undergraduate students attending a particular school is calculated by the NCES by subtracting the average amount of financial aid received from the total cost of attendance. In the San Marcos area, average net costs for attending public or private traditional schools ranged from about $7,000 to over $24,000 during the 2014-2015 school year.
- Austin Community College District ($7,210)
- Texas State University ($12,728)
- Huston-Tillotson University ($17,088)
- The University of Texas at Austin ($17,366)
- Texas Lutheran University ($19,149)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES revealed the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who enrolled in 2009 and completed their courses of study within 150% of normal time, or six years for a bachelor's degree. The traditional schools near San Marcos had rates spanning from 80% down to 8% for 2015.
- The University of Texas at Austin (80% graduation rate)
- Saint Edward's University (63% graduation rate)
- Texas State University (53% graduation rate)
- Texas Lutheran University (47% graduation rate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Austin (38% graduation rate)
The San Marcos, TX, area offers public and private schools with high graduation rates, low net costs, large student populations, and proximity to downtown for interested students.