Students looking for a school near Sarasota, Florida, have a few options available. Using statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) can help students compare different colleges and universities in the area based on location, student population, cost of attendance, and graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Sarasota, Florida
Knowing how close a school is to Sarasota can be informative to students in the process of selecting a school. The closest school to downtown Sarasota is about 3 miles away, while the others are within 10 miles. Out of the five of the closest schools, four are 4-year universities. Here are the five closest schools to Sarasota, Florida:
- Suncoast Technical College (2.8 miles from downtown)
- Argosy University-Sarasota (6.9 miles from downtown)
- Everglades University-Sarasota (9 miles from downtown)
- Keiser University-Sarasota (9 miles from downtown)
- University of South Florida-Sarasota-Manatee (9.6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Sarasota, Florida
Student population size can influence a student's decision on a school, depending on whether they prefer the additional opportunities provided by a larger school or the personalized attention offered by a smaller one. Four of the five largest schools near Sarasota are public schools. The largest of the five has close to 10,500 students, and the smallest of the five has about 500 students. These schools near Sarasota have the largest student population in the area:
- State College of Florida-Manatee-Sarasota (10,532 students)
- University of South Florida-Sarasota-Manatee (2,030 students)
- Suncoast Technical College (1,117 students)
- Manatee Technical College (966 students)
- Argosy University-Sarasota (545 students)
Lowest Net Price
The net price of a school can help students decide on a school based on the cost of attendance. The schools with the lowest net prices near Sarasota are all within about 13 miles of downtown. Two of these are 2-year public colleges and two are 4-year schools. The net prices are calculated for full-time undergraduate students for the 2014-2015 school year.
- University of South Florida-Sarasota-Manatee ($5,324)
- Manatee Technical College ($5,685)
- Suncoast Technical College ($7,382)
- State College of Florida-Manatee-Sarasota ($11,408)
Highest Graduation Rate
By using the graduation rate, prospective students have an idea about how many students actually complete their degree programs at various schools. This rate is calculated by using the number of full-time undergraduate students who finished their degree program within 150% of the normal time. Three of the four colleges and universities with the highest graduation rates near Sarasota are public schools. The rates listed were from students who began their degree program in 2009 for the 4-year schools and 2012 for the 2-year colleges.
- Manatee Technical College (75% graduation rate)
- Argosy University-Sarasota (75% graduation rate)
- Suncoast Technical College (72% graduation rate)
- State College of Florida-Manatee-Sarasota (29% graduation rate)
As you can see, this information from NCES helps show important statistics and factors students should consider when selecting a school near Sarasota, Florida.