Science is a very broad field that covers everything from the study of the cosmos to the study of the human brain. Here are some of the top schools that offer outstanding scientific programs.
Here we explore three schools that offer award-winning education and have earned high ranks from U.S. News & World Report and the Princeton Review. These schools offer programs at bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
Three of the top science colleges in the U.S. include Stanford University, the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign and Pennsylvania State University. These research-intensive institutions have degree programs in science at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Students can choose from a broad range of areas of inquiry.
Stanford University in Stanford, CA
|School Highlight: Stanford is home to several faculty members who have won Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes.|
In U.S. News & World Report's 2014 ranking, Stanford University tied as the number one graduate college for biological sciences and the fourth for chemistry. This top university conducts private scientific research, as well as research for government entities, such as the U.S. Department of Energy. Through Stanford's School of Humanities and Sciences, science students can earn undergraduate and graduate degrees from the physics, biology, applied physics and chemistry departments.
University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign in Champaign, IL
|School Highlight: Illinois is home to around 100 research centers, including the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology.|
As of 2016, the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign was listed as a Best Midwestern College, as well as a College That Pays You Back, by the Princeton Review. Individuals interested in studying science here can look to the College of ACES or the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, where they can earn Bachelor of Science (BS) or a Bachelor of Arts (BA). The graduate school offers Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees. Science concentrations are available in astronomy, crop sciences, pre-veterinary, biology and chemistry and geology.
Pennsylvania State University - Main Campus, PA
|School Highlight : The College of Science offers a joint BS in Science and Master of Business Administration (MBA) program|
While tying for 50th in the U.S. News & World Report category of National Universities, this school ranks high among Top Public Schools, tied at 14th place. Through the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences and the Eberly College Students have a number of degree programs to choose from including energy and sustainability, geobiology, meteorology, biotechnology and more.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Top Science Programs
Below are a few more schools that offer great training in the various scientific fields.
- At the University of California at Berkeley students interested in environmental issues can choose from a variety of interdisciplinary undergraduate or graduate degree programs through the Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management.
- The University of Colorado at Boulder has the Institute of Cognitive Science, which offers undergraduate and graduate study that encompasses disciplines like psychology and neuroscience, linguistics, philosophy, computer science, education, architecture and speech, language and hearing science
- University of Michigan in Ann Arbor allows students to pursue an undergraduate minor or a graduate certificate program in science, technology and society focusing on international issues within these fields.
- Ninety-two percent of graduates from the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities have a job or begin grad school within six months of graduation.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's Department of Marine Sciences and Institute of Marine Sciences offer master's and PhD programs as well as an undergraduate minor focused on training and hands-on research in the field.
- At the University of Southern California, in Los Angeles, CA, biological sciences students have the opportunity to perform research in the field in places like Africa, Antarctica and the Pacific Ocean.
- The University of Texas at Austin allows students to participate in the College of Natural Science's Texas Institute for Discovery Education in Science (TIDES), which is dedicated to experiential learning.
Here we have reviewed only a few of the schools you may find that offer outstanding degree programs in the sciences. All of these schools in one way or another provide unique training opportunities.