Speech Pathology Graduate Schools and Universities in the U.S.
The minimum educational requirement to work as a speech pathologist is a master's degree, and graduate schools typically award the Master of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology. However, double majors with coursework in audiology or related fields are also available.
How to Select a Speech Pathology Graduate School
Speech pathology is the study of language disorders. Those seeking advanced training can find programs in this field at many graduate schools in the United States.
Consider the following when looking for speech pathology graduate schools:
- Prospective students should look for plentiful opportunities to gain clinical experience with a wide variety of patients.
- Students may want to consider schools that hold accreditation through the Council on Academic Accreditation.
- Choose a school with career placement support or internship partnerships that have a high rate of post-graduation employment from within the school's ranks of alumni.
Speech-Language Pathology Program Overview
M.A. in Speech-Language Pathology
Students learn to assist individuals with speech, language, cognitive and hearing disorders. Although programs prefer to enroll those with a bachelor's degree in speech pathology, they may accept those with 4-year degrees in other disciplines who satisfy additional prerequisites. Program length varies from 40-60 credit hours; both a written thesis and comprehensive exam is necessary to successfully complete the program. Courses include:
- Aural rehabilitation
- Early language development
- Principles of intervention
- Later language development
M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology
Schools that offer the Master of Science program require the same coursework as those with the Master of Arts program, but without the thesis requirement. Non-thesis students select a specific elective to replace the thesis, and must receive department approval. They must still complete a comprehensive exam. Students learn about:
- Voice disorders
- Fluency disorders
- Special problems in speech pathology
10 Schools with Speech Pathology Graduate Programs
|Abilene Christian University||4-year, Private|
|Kean University||4-year, Public|
|University of Nebraska||4-year, Public|
|Brooklyn College||4-year, Private|
|University of Rhode Island||4-year, Public|
|Vanderbilt University||4-year, Private|
|Ohio University||4-year, Public|
|University of Iowa||4-year, Public|
|Portland State University||4-year, Public|
|Loyola University||4-year, Private|