Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Accounting with Computers, General
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Taxation, General
Online Tax Preparation Courses
Below are descriptions of some common online tax preparation programs.
- Estate & Gift Taxation: This course introduces students to federal taxation of gifts and gratuities that accrue in throughout a taxpayer's lifetime. The course also studies regulations concerning property transfers upon the death of an individual. After acquiring the necessary understanding of these laws, students in this course will learn how to develop an estate and gift planning strategy.
- Tax Research: Just as important as taxes themselves is the concept of tax research, which involves strategies and methods for exploring and understanding the myriad codes and laws concerning taxation. Students in this course will learn techniques and methods involved in federal tax research. Other course topics include an overview of procedures and rules when advocating for a client before the IRS.
- Corporate Taxation: Corporations and big businesses are subject to their own unique set of taxation regulations, and this course introduces students to these laws and requirements. The course focuses primarily on income taxation, but additional consideration is given to excise tax on gifts and estates.
- Individual Taxation: The amount of taxes an individual pays annually depends on a number of factors, including income, marital status, location, and occupation. Courses in individual taxation help students learn how to prepare taxes for a single person. Course topics include income adjustments, adjusted gross income (AGI), filing status, personal exemptions, and itemized deductions.
- Partnership Taxation: This course focuses on the tax implications related with forming, maintaining or dissolving partnerships. Students will gain an understanding of what constitutes a partnership and the various considerations related to how they're taxed.
- Computerized Tax Preparation: Commercial tax preparation software is regularly changing and being updated. This course provides an overview of the current software available and how to best use it for the purpose of preparing taxes.
Tax preparation courses can be found in programs leading to a certificate or degree in taxation or a related field, such as accounting. Online degree programs are typically offered at the graduate level. Such programs can prepare individuals for employment at accounting and tax firms that deal specifically with preparing and filing income tax returns. Many of these programs teach the tax preparer laws of the states in which they're situated (which are separate from IRS rules).
Courses are available online related to a variety of specific tax preparation issues, equipping students to become able to navigate many different tax situations for individuals and businesses. These courses are often found at the graduate level and cover topics like estate taxes, tax preparation software and corporate taxes.