The area around Tempe, Arizona, includes numerous college options for students interested in studying just about any field. Many of these schools are traditional colleges that we look at in a few categories from data reported by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to help students compare schools.
Closest Schools to Tempe, Arizona
Tempe, AZ, has many 2-year and 4-year schools less than 10 miles from downtown. Some of the closest schools are private institutions, although there are some public schools available.
- Rio Salado College (located downtown)
- Arizona State University-Tempe (0.6 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Tempe (2.2 miles from downtown)
- University of Phoenix-Arizona (2.2 miles from downtown)
- Western International University (2.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Tempe, Arizona
Most of the large schools near Tempe are public institutions. Many of the larger schools offer graduate level programs, as well as a wide variety of undergraduate programs.
- University of Phoenix-Arizona (195,059 students)
- Grand Canyon University (62,304 students)
- Arizona State University-Tempe (50,320 students)
- Mesa Community College (22,711 students)
- Glendale Community College (20,506 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES determines a school's average net price by subtracting the average financial aid awards from the total cost of attending that institution for a full-time undergraduate. Among the public and private schools near Tempe, the net price ranged from below $10,000 to $42,605. All of the following statistics come from the NCES for 2014-2015.
- Rio Salado College ($7,006)
- Glendale Community College ($7,034)
- South Mountain Community College ($7,191)
- Estrella Mountain Community College ($7,214)
- Phoenix College ($7,299)
Highest Graduation Rate
Overall graduation rates determined by the NCES indicate the portion of full-time undergrad students who complete their programs within 150% of the normal time, such as six years for bachelor's degrees or three years for associate's degrees. Of the schools around Tempe, the graduation rates as of 2015, ranged from less than 10% up to 87%.
- Southwest Skill Center-Campus of Estrella Mountain Community College (84% graduation rate)
- Arizona State University-West (71% graduation rate)
- Arizona State University-Tempe (66% graduation rate)
- Arizona State University-Downtown Phoenix (64% graduation rate)
- East Valley Institute of Technology (64% graduation rate)
Students can select from many private or public institutions in the Tempe, AZ, area based on their personal preferences for location, size, price, and graduation rates.