Ultrasound Schools in West Virginia with Course and Program Info
Research ultrasound programs in West Virginia, which currently has 2 schools offering programs. Read an overview of degree and certificate programs, tuition info and program options for these schools, and decide which program is right for you.
West Virginia students can pursue a bachelor's degree in ultrasound technology, also known as diagnostic medical sonography. An 18-month undergraduate certificate program designed for students with a radiologic technology or related health sciences associate degree is also available. Students complete classroom studies, labs and clinical components. Through these experiences, students learn to perform various types of sonographic procedures, which may include vascular, abdominal and obstetrical ultrasounds.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employers prefer to hire sonographers with professional certification, which usually requires completion of an accredited program and the passing of an exam. The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) awards certification in various sonography specialty areas to those who pass the corresponding specialty area exam. Specific education requirements must be met before individuals can sit for the exams. Read on for information about the two West Virginia 2 schools with ultrasound - or medical diagnostic sonography - programs.
University of Charleston - Beckley Campus
The diagnostic medical sonography bachelor's degree program at the University of Charleston is available at the campus in Beckley. Students participate in lectures, laboratory courses and clinical training, and they must be prepared to commit 40 hours per week to the program. Students are eligible to sit for ARDMS certification exams for abdomen and obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN) after completing the first year of clinical training. After completing the program, graduates can also sit for the ARDMS exams in vascular examinations and echocardiography.
- Program Offered: Bachelor's degree in diagnostic medical sonography
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $365 per credit hour*
- School Type & Setting: 4-year; private not- for-profit; small city
West Virginia University Hospital Departments of Radiology Technology and Nutrition
Located in Morgantown, the university hospital offers an 18-month Diagnostic Medical Sonography Certificate program. The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs and aims to prepare graduates for the ARDMS exams in OB/GYN, physics, abdomen and neurosonography.
To qualify for admission, each student must have completed a radiologic technology program approved by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography or a health sciences associate's degree program that includes particular coursework. Only 6 students can be accepted into the program. While in the program, students have access to state-of-the-art equipment, and they can participate in about 10,000 patient exams each year. Coursework covers vascular sonography, physics, breast sonography, case review and other topics.
- Program Offered: Diagnostic Medical Sonography Certificate
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $4,500 program tuition cost**
- School Type & Setting: 4-year; private not-for-profit; small city
School Comparison: At a Glance
|School Name||School Type and Setting||Ultrasound Programs Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2012-2013)|
|University of Charleston - Beckley Campus||4-year; private not- for-profit; small city||Bachelor's degree in diagnostic medical sonography||$365 per credit hour*|
|West Virginia University Hospital Departments of Radiology Technology and Nutrition||4-year; private not-for-profit; small city||Diagnostic Medical Sonography Certificate||$4,500 program tuition cost**|
Source: *University of Charleston - Beckley Campus, **West Virginia University Hospital Departments of Radiology Technology and Nutrition.
Related to Ultrasound School in West Virginia
- Recently Updated
Echo ultrasound training programs, also known as echocardiography programs, focus on the use of ultrasound machines to create...
Get information on Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs in biomedical engineering, which includes the study of ultrasound...
Cardiac ultrasound studies are most commonly found in cardiovascular sonography or diagnostic medical sonography programs. This...
Get information on undergraduate certificate and degree programs in diagnostic medical sonography. Read on to learn about the...
- Emergency Ultrasound Courses: Overviews for Aspiring ER Workers
- Ultrasound Technologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Ultrasound Sonographer Salary and Career Information
- 10 Great Study Abroad Locations for Literature Students
- 5 Reasons College Students Should Look Over Corrected Assignments
- Education Portal for Students in Secure Facilities
- Tips for Returning to College After Taking Time Off
- Therapeutic Ultrasound Certification Information
- List of Free Online Ultrasound Courses
- Student Earns Three College Credits and Saves $700 Over Winter Break
- Life Skills Training and Educational Programs: Helping to Make Strong Communities Through Social Services
- 10 Perfect Majors for Students with Military Experience