Underwriter Schools and Colleges in the U.S.

Bank loan and mortgage underwriters generally start by earning a bachelor's degree in accounting or finance with coursework in risk assessment. However, a Master of Business Administration is preferred by many employers.

How to Select an Underwriting School

The two most common fields of study for this area are accounting or business management, typically in the form of a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA). Undergraduate programs with an emphasis in underwriting are rare, but students can examine course options for classes that include topics in mortgage or loan underwriting.

Consider the following when looking for underwriting schools:

  • Prospective students searching for a school or college for education in underwriting typically consider the available programs and the degree levels.
  • Experienced accountants or managers with an interest in underwriting could look schools that offer MBA programs with a concentration in risk assessment.
  • Students may also want to check for a curriculum that prepares them for certification in general mortgage underwriting or direct endorsement underwriting from the National Association of Mortgage Processors or Insurance Institute of America.

10 Schools with Underwriting Programs

College/University Institution Type
Ohio State University - Main Campus 4-year, Public
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities 4-year, Public
University of Central Florida 4-year, Public
Pennsylvania State University - Main Campus 4-year, Public
University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign 4-year, Public
University of Wisconsin - Madison 4-year, Public
Florida State University 4-year, Public
Temple University 4-year, Public
University of North Texas 4-year, Public
University of Georgia 4-year, Public

Search Degrees, Careers, or Schools