Video Editing Degree and Certification Program Overviews
An associate's degree in video and media production focuses on video editing as a central, technical skill. These programs help students develop a demo reel to use as a portfolio, which is often required when interviewing for jobs as editors, artists, producers or directors.
Most programs are 1-2 years in length, although some can take up to three years to complete. Because programs typically require students to work in a production lab for most classes, and video editing equipment and software is expensive, programs are usually not offered online. Demo reels are a compilation of a student's work and proof of hands-on training with standard video editing equipment and software.
- Program Levels in Video Editing: Associate's degree
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or GED, previous experience in video editing
- Program Length: 1-3 years
- Online Availability: Rare -- but some
- Other Requirements: Production lab work
Associate's Degree in Video Editing
Students learn about all aspects of video production and acquire the technical skills necessary to work in a video production studio. Additional skills might include authoring, storyboarding, concept development, lighting or motion graphics editing.
As technology evolves, courses in video production programs can change. Video production professionals must also stay current on technology in the field. In addition to liberal arts classes, here are examples of classes that might appear in this program:
- Production scheduling
- Basics of Final Cut Pro
- Video lighting and color
Popular Career Options
This degree qualifies graduates for entry-level positions in video editing or production. Most graduates work at production studios, privately owned businesses or in government facilities. Some job titles graduates may eventually hold include:
- Motion graphics developer
- Storyboard artist
- Video Editor
Related to Video Editing Certification
- Recently Updated
Learn about video editing programs at top U.S. schools. Find out about the programs, the curricula, the school rankings and...
Video editing assistants assist film editors and directors and accrue valuable experience that can help them move up to senior...
Online video editing programs teach students to use nonlinear digital editing systems to edit video, organize scenes and...
Master's degree programs in film and video typically focus on all elements of production, which incorporates post-production...
- Music Video Editing: Job Description & Requirements
- Certificate in Editing and Proofreading: Program Overview
- Editing Degree and Training Program Information
- Master of Management: Information Systems Security Degree Overview
- Substance and Alcohol Abuse Studies: Education Program Information
- Associate of Applied Science (AAS): Computer Forensics Degree Overview
- MBA in Marketing Management: Masters Degree Program Overviews