Bachelor Degree Details Video
Bachelor Degree Details Video Transcript
A bachelor's degree is the goal of most students who head off to college every year. This undergraduate degree, whether a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) provides students with a multitude of employment options.
What is a Bachelor's degree?
Bachelor's degrees are the most commonly awarded undergraduate degrees. Bachelor's degrees are granted by four-year colleges and universities and are usually full-time programs.
Most institutions require students entering a bachelor's degree program to have a high school diploma, a homeschool diploma, a GED or an associate's degree. Bachelor's degree programs typically consist of 120 to 128 credit hours of coursework and can be completed within four years. Some technical disciplines, however, require a fifth year of study.
Students pursuing a bachelor's degree are required to choose a major area of study. Typically, one-third to one-half of a student's required courses are within his or her major discipline. The remainder are a combination of general studies requirements and electives. Students must also meet a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) to graduate.
What are the Degree Options?
Most colleges and universities grant the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees. The Bachelor of Arts degree is typically awarded to students majoring in the humanities and fine arts. The Bachelor of Science degree is most often granted to students with a mathematics, science, engineering or other technical major. Some colleges offer students their choice of degree programs.
In addition to the B.S. and B.A. there are dozens of other specialized bachelor's degrees. Some of the more common include:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)
- and Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.).
Why Earn a Bachelor's Degree?
A bachelor's degree can open doors to many careers. Entry-level positions in management, teaching, interior design, engineering, computers, journalism, social work and most other professional fields require a minimum of a bachelor's degree.
For those who want to continue their education, a bachelor's degree is the starting point for graduate studies. It is a prerequisite for entry into most master's degree programs.
Graduates with a bachelor's degree also have better earning potential than those without a college education. Data from the U.S. Census Bureau show that adults with a bachelor's degree earned an average of $54,000 in 2005, while those with a high school diploma earned approximately $29,500. People who complete a bachelor's degree program make more money than associate degree graduates, as well, earning about $240 dollars more each week in 2006.
Earning a bachelor's degree requires a four to five year investment, but most graduates find that their increase in employment and salary opportunities justifies the time and expense of pursuing their degree.
Bachelor Degree Details Video Related Articles
Arts and communications is generally offered as a bachelor's degree program. Continue reading for an overview of the programs, as well as...
The myth of the starving artist is seen as anything from a noble pursuit to a punchline. But if stability matters to you - and who could...
As budgets get tighter and tighter, some teachers are seeking creative ways to get badly needed supplies. In New York City, schools can...
In celebration of National Arts and Humanities Month, the White House is hosting a live chat on the arts and humanities in the United...
Arts administrators require a significant amount of formal education. Learn about the degree programs, job duties and career outlook...
- Distance Learning Bachelor of Culinary Arts Management College Degree
- Colleges and Universities Online Bachelor of Science Degree
- Bachelor Degree Programs in Video Production
- Online Bachelor of Science Aeronautical Engineering Degree
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Services Online
- Online Bachelor of Electronics College Degree Programs
- Bachelor Degree Programs in Applied Science
- Career Options for Fine Arts Majors
- Artist: Educational Overview for a Career in the Arts
- Community Arts Careers: Education and Training Requirements
- Chef Training: Top Rated Culinary Arts Program - Pittsburgh, PA
- Culinary School: Top Ranked Culinary Arts Program - Philadelphia, PA
Learn how to become an immigration officer. Research the education requirements, training and experience you will need to start a career as...
Publicists, managers and agents all work in the best interests of their clients, and help them to secure lucrative work throughout their...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a field producer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about...
There is no such thing as a firefighting degree. There are only firefighting certificates and fire science degrees. Those who wish to...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Undergraduate in Legal Studies
- BS in Liberal Studies
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Nutrition Science
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Psychology
- B.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance and Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- BS in Accounting
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Entrepreneurship - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Human Resource Management - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership Online
- Bachelor of Arts - Business Administration with a concentration in Transportation and Logistics
- BA in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Arts - Psychology
- BA in Business Administration - Management
- BA in Accounting
- BA in Business Administration - International Business