CAD Drafting and Computer Design Video: Educational Requirements and Career Options
- Floral Design and Flower Arranging Career Video: Becoming a Floral Designer
- Landscape Design Video: Career Options in Landscape Architecture and Landscaping Design
CAD Drafting and Computer Design Video: Educational Requirements and Career Options Transcript
Individuals interested in CAD drafting and computer design may find themselves in such career areas as architectural drafting, drafting design or general drafting. Learning computer-aided drafting programs such as AutoCAD are critical in this profession because much of the estimating and drawings are done via computer.
Individuals who work in industries that use CAD drafting and computer design typically find themselves in positions such as drafters, estimators, CAD operators or project managers. These professionals utilize computer-aided design programs to prepare drawings, plans and sketches. These blueprints are then used to build a variety of things from buildings and machinery to toys and other manufactured products.
Job Duties and Skills
As any kind of drafter, you need to have the right mechanical skills and visual aptitude. Even though most of your work is done on a computer, you also need to be able to make accurate calculations and draw well. It is important to have good communication skills because you will be relaying information to engineers, architects and other professionals in the field who will utilize the information you produce. Your duties will be specific to the type of drafting you do, but in general, you will be charged with providing the visual guidelines and blueprints for any given project. You will need to provide measurements, dimensions and notes on materials needed to complete the project. A background and understanding of engineering and manufacturing may also be required. Good math and calculation skills are a plus.
There are a variety of training opportunities and programs available for those interested in CAD drafting, architectural drafting or computer design. Depending on the type of position you wish to acquire, you can enroll in a two-year program at a technical college, a four-year program at a university or obtain an advanced degree from an accredited school. Technical colleges will provide you with the technical skills needed in the field, whereas four-year colleges typical concentrate on a subject area (such as math, architecture or engineering). Wherever you choose to complete training, you'll want to make sure that you have developed your mechanical drawing and drafting skills and have general knowledge of drafting standards and engineering technology. Any program in the field should also offer extensive computer-aided design program training as well. Certification can be achieved on top of a postsecondary degree through the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA).
There are several career opportunities for those interested in using CAD drafting and computer design. Specific positions may include: architectural drafter, civil drafter, engineering drafter, electrical drafter, or mechanical drafter. Drafters at the entry-level typically work under supervision and may be given additional work after gaining adequate experience. There are many employers in this field who support and even pay for continued training and education. Drafters who take advantage of this and have appropriate accreditations can move on to become engineers, architects or engineering technicians.
In conclusion, CAD drafting and computer design can lend themselves to a variety of career options. Whether you wish to be a drafter, engineer or architect, it is important to have the proper training and education. You will need to acquire the technical skills necessary to perform in each specialty area. Employers will hire those with post-secondary education and training along with adequate technical skills.
CAD Drafting and Computer Design Video: Educational Requirements and Career Options Related Articles
Six schools in the Duluth, GA, area have top ranking CAD drafting and computer design programs. Read on to find out more about what one...
Students interested in pursuing a degree in CAD drafting and design have few choices to choose from in the Houston area. Read on for more...
Get info about online associate degree programs in computer drafting and design. Read about program requirements and course topics, and...
Students interested in CAD drafting will find a number of associate's degree and certificate options in the Phoenix area. Read on to see...
In an associate of mechanical drafting design degree program, students will learn in-depth knowledge about CAD technology by using...
- Computer Design Certificate Programs in Houston
- Computer Design Certificate Programs in NY
- Computer Design
- Degree Programs in Computer Game Design
- Computer Web Design Courses Online
- Online Computer Graphic Design Career Education
- Distance Learning University Degree Program in Computer Graphic Design
- Top Computer Drafting and Design School - Norfolk, VA
- Top University in Oklahoma City for Computer Drafting Degrees
- Associate of Computer Drafting and Design: Degree Overview
- Top School in Dayton, OH, for a CAD Degree
- Top School in Tampa for a Design Technology Degree
Learn how to become a radio frequency (RF) systems technician. Research the education requirements, training information, and experience...
Paramedics and nurses complete many of the same tasks when helping patients; however, they also work in very different settings. Learn...
Quantitative analysis studies commonly make up part of an applied economics undergraduate degree and business or financial engineering...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an ESL teacher. Get a quick overview of the requirements plus details about...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MS in Information Systems - Software Engineering Management Concentration
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Information Systems - IT Project Management
- BS in Information Technology - Web Development Technology
- BS in Information Technology - Programming Technology
- BS in Information Systems - Cyber Security Management
- BS in Information Systems - IT Project Management
- BS in Information Systems - Technology Management
- AA in Information Technology
- AA in Information Systems
- MA in Computer Animation
- MA in Design & Media Management
- BA in Visual Effects & Motion Graphics
- BA in Game Art & Design
- BA Fine Arts in Media Arts & Animation
- BS in Design & Technical Graphics
- AS in Applied Science - Web Design and Interactive Media
- AS in Web Design & Interactive Media
- AS in Applied Science - Graphic & Web Design
- Diploma in 3D Modleing for Animation & Games
- Diploma in Animation Art & Design
- Diploma in Game Art & Design
- Diploma in Web Design & Interacitve Media
- Diploma in Web Design & Interactive Media & Foundation for Design
- Diploma in Advanced Graphic Design
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management
- MS in Management - Information Technology
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- MS in IT - Information Security and Assurance
- MS in IT - Project Management
- MS in Cybersecurity Management
- BS in Cybersecurity
- BSIT - Information Management
- BS in Information Technology - Information Security & Assurance
- BS in Information Technology
- AAS in Information Technology
- AASIT - Network Administration
- Technology and Skilled Trades
- Bridge to the M.S. in Information Technology Management
- M.S. in Information Technology Management
- M.S. in Instructional Technology
- Master of Science in Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Cyber Security (Bridge)
- B.S. in Computer Programming
- B.S. in Information Technology
- B.S. in Information Technology with an Emphasis in Cyber Security
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Technology Management
- MBA Dual Concentration in Accounting & Technology Management
- MBA Dual Concentration in Public Safety Leadership & Technology Management
- MBA Dual Concentration in Human Resources & Technology Management
- BS in Information Technology Security Technology
- BS in Information Technology - Network Management
- BS in Information Technology Administration and Management With No Declared Minor or Concentration
- Associate of Science - Technology Studies
- AS in Information Technology Administration and Management
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering