Dental Hygienist Career Video for Dental Students
Dental Hygienist Career Video for Dental Students Transcript
Dental hygiene may not be a flashy career but it is a job where you can really make a difference. A dental hygienist can teach patients how to improve their oral health and can even help them avoid trips to the dentist. The hygienist is a vital professional working in today's modern dental office.
Dental hygienists are licensed dental auxiliaries who specialize in preventive dental care. A dental hygienist will examine patients' teeth and gums to check for decay and disease, clean the teeth, apply fluoride, take x-rays and help to educate patients on oral hygiene. Most dental hygienists hold an associate's degree in dental hygiene. A bachelor's or master's degree may lead to opportunities in administration, teaching or research.
Job Skills and Duties
Dental hygienists need to enjoy working with people and must have good manual dexterity.
Patient education is also a big part of a hygienists daily job, showing patients how to properly brush and floss as well as advising on nutrition and oral health.
Individual state dental regulations determine which duties hygienists may perform. In general, dental hygienists are qualified to use hand and rotary instruments and ultrasonics to scale the teeth (remove soft and hard deposits), take x-rays, apply sealants, apply fluoride and perform root planing. In some states, hygienists can also administer anesthetics, place temporary fillings and remove sutures. The fairly new designation, Advanced Dental Hygiene Practitioner, allows the specially qualified hygienist to provide some preventative, diagnostic and restorative services directly to the public, such as in schools, nursing homes and shelters.
The majority of dental hygiene degree programs begin at the associate degree level, though there are a few certificate programs available. Students may also pursue a bachelor's or master's degree. Higher levels of training may qualify students as an Advanced Dental Hygiene Practitioner. After earning an associate degree, a dental hygienist must pass written and clinical exams to gain a license from the state in which he or she works.
Well Known Jobs Within this Field of Expertise
Almost all dental hygienists work in dental offices. A small number work for employment services, for school systems, with public health agencies or other government agencies.
If dental hygiene sounds like a career you would enjoy, it should be easy to find local community college or university degree programs in this popular field. You can make a real difference in the lives of your patients, by helping them address oral health problems before they lead to unpleasant dental procedures.
Dental Hygienist Career Video for Dental Students Related Articles
Dental hygienists are required to have at least some post-secondary education, although the amount varies considerably. Learn about the...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a dental hygienist. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
Find out how to become a registered dental hygienist (RDH). Research the education and training requirements, and learn about the...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a registered dental hygienist (RDH). Get a quick view of the requirements as...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a dental hygienist. Get a quick view of the requirements - including job...
- Dental Hygienist Florida
- Dental Hygienist San Diego
- How to Become a Dental Hygienist
- Dental Hygienist School
- Dental Hygienist School Dallas TX
- How to Go About Becoming a Dental Hygienist in Alabama
- How Long Does IT Take to Become a Dental Hygienist
- Hygienist: Becoming a Dental Hygienist
- How to Become a Restorative Dental Hygienist: Career Roadmap
- Online Dental Hygienist Associate's Degree Program Information
- Registered Dental Hygienist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Best Schools in San Jose, CA, for a Dental Assisting Degree
Associate of Specialized Technology programs are not readily available for prospective anesthesia technologists, but interested students may...
Sports broadcasting is a communications field that delivers sports-related news, game broadcasts and other information through radio,...
Learn about online Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Accounting programs. Get an overview of the program requirements, course...
Research educational supervision degree programs in Connecticut, which currently has seven schools offering programs. Read an overview of...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Science in Health Services Administration: Clinical Care Management
- Master of Health Services Administration
- BBA - Health Services Administration Concentration
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Bachelor - Health Services Administration
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- MSM in Healthcare
- MS in Nursing: Patient Quality and Safety
- BS Health Science
- BS Business Admin w/conc in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Doctor of Management in Health Care Management & Leadership
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- AS in Health Administration Services
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- AS in Medical Assisting
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Public Safety Leadership
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Project Management
- Bachelor of Science - Healthcare Management With a Dental Hygiene Emphasis
- AS in Medical Assisting
- Diploma in Medical Assisting