Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video
Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video Transcript
Careers in nutrition include career titles such as dietician and nutritionist. Both job titles describe a person who is concerned with clients' overall health through proper diet and fitness. This video provides an overview nutrition careers.
Practitioners of nutrition and dietetics promote health through the managing of nutrition and food . They ensure the food you eat is healthy by preparing and implementing customized food and nutrition programs. In larger institutions, they prepare and supervise meals, while more experienced nutritionists and dieticians manage food service systems or conduct research.
Job Skills and Duties
Nutritionists and dieticians need good interpersonal skills to work with the public as well as organizations and institutions. For example, they may provide nutrition education classes on food safety, teaching a wide audience, or they might consult with a person one-on-one concerning weight loss. In medical settings nutritionists and dieticians might focus more on the clinical aspect of nutrition. For example, in a hospital, they need to have extensive medical knowledge concerning nutrition-related diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes or Crohn's disease . Dieticians and nutritionists may also work in a school setting, aiding in the planning of healthy meals and snacks for students.
Nutrition and dietetics requirements vary depending upon the state you intend to work in. Some states have few or no requirements, while others are much more stringent. Many require a license or certification. Education at the college or university level is an excellent way to obtain training to become licensed as a nutritionist or dietician. Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate level degrees in Nutrition are offered at various college and universities across the United States. For the student hoping to stand out among the crowd, the American Dietetic Association (or ADA) grants a registered dietician credential for those who pass the required coursework and exam, as well as have enough supervised experience.
Within the field of nutrition and dietetic services there are many specializations. Common specializations include clinical, community, management and consultant dieticians. More than half of all nutrition and dietician jobs are in medical facilities such as hospitals or doctor's offices.. Other areas of employment include private practices, special food services, and the local, state or federal government. With the wide variety of career options, nutrition and dietetics make an excellent career choice for those who are interested in working with people to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
[#1] The American Dietetic Association (ADA), www.eatright.org
[#2] Healthline, www.healthline.com
[#3] The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov
Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video Related Articles
Are you looking into becoming a nutritionist? If so, read on to learn about the qualities shared by individuals who excel in this field...
Take a look at possible undergraduate majors for aspiring nutritionists, and learn about graduate program options, certification, career...
Find out about online dietician courses and in which training programs they're most commonly offered. Get course descriptions, program...
Students will find online dietetics programs offered at several colleges and universities; areas of focus vary. Most of the online...
Anything in excess isn't healthy, and alcohol is no exception. If you're a college student who tends to drink regularly, you should be...
- Dietician Online College Degree
- Online Dietician Degree
- Dietician Courses
- Work As a Registered Dietician
- Clinical Dietician
- Diet and Nutrition School
- How to Become a Canine Nutritionist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- How to Become a Culinary Nutritionist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Overview of Registered Dietician Courses and Classes
- How to Become a Sports Nutritionist
- Sports Nutritionist: Job & Career Info
Nurse practitioners are registered nurses with additional training, enabling them to specialize in a specific area, such as pediatrics or...
Generally, online educational management courses are offered at the graduate level and are open to students with a bachelor's degree in...
Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) care for ill or injured people in hospitals, nursing homes, doctor's offices and home health agencies....
Aspiring restaurant managers can pursue an Associate of Culinary Arts Restaurant Management Degree. Students have the opportunity to gain...
- Engineering Continuing Education for the Engineering Professions
- Online Furniture Course
- Rhode Island (RI): Colleges, Trade Schools, and Universities Overview
- Secretary: Career Summary and Educational Overview for Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Online Restaurant Management Training Programs
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- MS in Management - Healthcare
- MS in Nursing - Patient Safety & Quality
- BS Health Science
- BS Business Administration with concentration in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Administration
- B.S. General Studies - Life Sciences
- B.S. Healthcare Administration
- A.S. General Studies - Life Sciences
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science with an Emphasis in Trauma
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Master of Arts in Practical Theology - Practical Healing
- Master of Divinity - Practical Healing
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration