Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video
Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video Transcript
Careers in nutrition include career titles such as dietician and nutritionist. Both job titles describe a person who is concerned with clients' overall health through proper diet and fitness. This video provides an overview nutrition careers.
Practitioners of nutrition and dietetics promote health through the managing of nutrition and food . They ensure the food you eat is healthy by preparing and implementing customized food and nutrition programs. In larger institutions, they prepare and supervise meals, while more experienced nutritionists and dieticians manage food service systems or conduct research.
Job Skills and Duties
Nutritionists and dieticians need good interpersonal skills to work with the public as well as organizations and institutions. For example, they may provide nutrition education classes on food safety, teaching a wide audience, or they might consult with a person one-on-one concerning weight loss. In medical settings nutritionists and dieticians might focus more on the clinical aspect of nutrition. For example, in a hospital, they need to have extensive medical knowledge concerning nutrition-related diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes or Crohn's disease . Dieticians and nutritionists may also work in a school setting, aiding in the planning of healthy meals and snacks for students.
Nutrition and dietetics requirements vary depending upon the state you intend to work in. Some states have few or no requirements, while others are much more stringent. Many require a license or certification. Education at the college or university level is an excellent way to obtain training to become licensed as a nutritionist or dietician. Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate level degrees in Nutrition are offered at various college and universities across the United States. For the student hoping to stand out among the crowd, the American Dietetic Association (or ADA) grants a registered dietician credential for those who pass the required coursework and exam, as well as have enough supervised experience.
Within the field of nutrition and dietetic services there are many specializations. Common specializations include clinical, community, management and consultant dieticians. More than half of all nutrition and dietician jobs are in medical facilities such as hospitals or doctor's offices.. Other areas of employment include private practices, special food services, and the local, state or federal government. With the wide variety of career options, nutrition and dietetics make an excellent career choice for those who are interested in working with people to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
[#1] The American Dietetic Association (ADA), www.eatright.org
[#2] Healthline, www.healthline.com
[#3] The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov
Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video Related Articles
Are you looking into becoming a nutritionist? If so, read on to learn about the qualities shared by individuals who excel in this field...
Take a look at possible undergraduate majors for aspiring nutritionists, and learn about graduate program options, certification, career...
Find out about online dietician courses and in which training programs they're most commonly offered. Get course descriptions, program...
Students will find online dietetics programs offered at several colleges and universities; areas of focus vary. Most of the online...
Anything in excess isn't healthy, and alcohol is no exception. If you're a college student who tends to drink regularly, you should be...
- Dietician Online College Degree
- Online Dietician Degree
- Dietician Courses
- Work As a Registered Dietician
- Clinical Dietician
- Diet and Nutrition School
- How to Become a Canine Nutritionist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- How to Become a Culinary Nutritionist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Overview of Registered Dietician Courses and Classes
- How to Become a Sports Nutritionist
- Sports Nutritionist: Job & Career Info
Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in veterinary science are offered at a number of colleges and universities throughout the...
Students who want to behind the scenes of the music and entertainment industry can develop the knowledge and skills that it takes to work in...
Find out about online engineering management courses and in which doctoral degree programs they're most commonly offered. Get course...
Massachusetts has 5 colleges that offer event planning certificate programs. Learn about the certificate programs, tuition info and...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- MSM in Healthcare
- MS in Nursing: Patient Quality and Safety
- BS Health Science
- BS Business Admin w/conc in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Services Administration: Clinical Care Management
- Master of Health Services Administration
- BBA - Health Services Administration Concentration
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- DHA - Health Care Quality and Analytics
- MHA - Health Care Leadership
- BS - Health Care Administration Leadership
- Doctor of Management in Health Care Management & Leadership
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- AS in Health Administration Services
- AS in Medical Assisting
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Public Safety Leadership
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Project Management
- Bachelor of Science - Healthcare Management With a Dental Hygiene Emphasis