Distance Learning Courses and Degree Programs Video
Distance Learning Courses and Degree Programs Video Transcript
Finding it too hard to get to class? Distance learning may be your answer. You can earn an online degree, finish high school, take continuing education courses or just take classes for fun or self-improvement.
What is Distance Learning?
Distance learning is designed to educate students who are not physically 'on site' at an institution. Instead of going to a classroom at a school or college, teachers and students communicate through letters, e-mail or telephone calls. Courses may use standard textbooks or they may present materials online or through other technologies. Programs may be entirely remote or the student may be required to attend some classes in person.
What are the Different Types of Distance Learning?
There are two basic formats for distance learning courses. There are those that have regularly scheduled class times where all students must participate and those that allow each student to access course materials at any time. Many students enjoy the convenience of unscheduled courses, but some students find it hard to stay on track without a formal schedule.
What Types of Technology are Used?
Today's distance learning courses range from low to high tech. Some traditional correspondence programs, which use regular mail delivery of printed materials, still exist, but many of those are being phased out. Most distance learning programs use a combination of technologies for communication, to present course materials, share projects and take tests.
Many distance learning programs use e-mail for basic communication and to send file attachments. Some also use instant messaging, chat rooms and online forums to exchange ideas with other students and to post questions to the teacher. Other options that improve group interaction, such as teleconferencing, web conferencing and collaborative software are becoming more common.
Course materials are presented with a variety of low and high tech methods. Some programs use traditional textbooks, audiocassettes, DVD videos, cable television and radio programs. Others use online textbooks, video lectures, pod casts, MP3 downloads, interactive CD-ROMs, multimedia websites and virtual classrooms.
Tests and evaluations can be handled in several ways. Some institutions design open book tests that require student research to succeed. Some require students to locate test proctors to oversee their examinations or require students to take tests at the host college. A newer trend requires students to show their knowledge by completing a project rather than taking a test.
Why Choose Distance Learning?
There are many advantages to distance learning. Courses allow students to work at their own pace and on their own schedule. Courses can be tailored to multiple learning styles making them more accessible to those with learning differences. College level courses may cost less through distance learning programs and students may be able to find online courses not offered by their local colleges. Distance learning programs can also serve students without transportation and those who live in rural areas.
What Types of Degrees can You Earn?
There are many accredited and non-accredited institutions offering courses at all academic levels - from high school to university and vocational. Students may take courses individually or may enroll in diploma, certificate or degree programs. Distance learning programs offer a wide variety of degrees at the associate's, bachelor's and master's degree level, and even a few doctoral level programs in subjects such as education and business.
Distance learning is a very convenient choice for many students and it can sometimes be the only practical choice. Today's technology can provide an interactive learning experience that may be equal to or better than traditional classroom study. You'll want to research the credentials of the school of your choice, as well as inquire about the instructional methods they offer.
Distance Learning Courses and Degree Programs Video Related Articles
Earning a bachelor's degree in four years is no big deal for some students. But for others, it's not so easy. And sometimes, it just...
Are you a video game nut? It's hard not to be with so many great games out on the market today. But how do you avoid becoming the...
For over three hundred years, U.S. colleges and universities have bestowed honorary degrees on people for their lasting impact on society...
Apprenticeship programs have evolved and are no longer vocational training programs for boys and young men. Many occupations offer modern...
A recent study published by the National Bureau for Economic Research confirms what many worried parents have already noticed: Students...
- Distance Learning Physical Education Degree Programs
- Online Associate's Degree Programs in Elementary Education
- Online Master's Degree Programs in Teaching Special Education
- Top Online Graduate Degree Programs Distance Learning
- Teaching Special Education Degree Programs in Cincinnati
- Community College Early Childhood Education Degree Programs
- Teaching Special Education Degree Programs in Seattle
- YouCollege: Video Becomes the Next Big Thing in College Applications
- Job Resumes 2.0: Creating a Video Resume
- Colleges Introducing Three-Year Degree Programs
- Advertising and Marketing Distance Learning Programs: Degree Info
- Bachelor Degree Completion Programs
Find out how to become a customer service engineer. Research the educational requirements and learn about the experience you need to advance...
Learn about degree programs in substance abuse counseling, through which students learn how to help people who are addicted to drugs,...
Research online adolescent psychology courses and programs. Find out what degree levels are available and what you will learn in these...
Administrative assistant associate's degree programs cover topics applicable to general business settings, like bookkeeping, office...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path, Executive Leader Specialization
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path
- MS in Criminal Justice - Law
- Master of Science in Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Undergraduate in Legal Studies
- BS in Liberal Studies
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Business
- AAS in Legal Support and Services
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Admin-Office Management
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- AAS in Accounting
- Medical Assisting
- Certificate in Human Services
- Medical Office Administration
- Human Services Certificates in Child and Family Services
- Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Ministry
- Master of Public Administration - Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Administration
- M.A. Organizational Leadership
- Master of Education - School Administration
- Master of Education - Special Education
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- BS Human Communications
- B.S. General Studies - Communication
- B.S. General Studies - Criminal Justice
- B.S. General Studies - Liberal Arts
- A.S. Business
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- A.S. General Studies - Business
- A.S. General Studies - Communications
- A.S. General Studies - Criminal Justice
- A.S. General Studies - Liberal Arts
- Graduate Biology Certificate
- Undergraduate Certificate - Communications
- Undergraduate Certificate - Criminal Justice
- Post-Master's Certificate - Primary Care
- Undergraduate Certificate - General Studies
- Undergraduate Certificate - Human Services
- MS in Teaching & Learning
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Finance
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master - Information Technology Management
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- BS in Communication
- BS in Human Services
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Project Management
- BS in Marketing
- Undergraduate Specialization - Criminal Forensics
- Graduate Certificate - Human Resource Management
- Undergraduate Certificate - Project Management
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Graduate Certificate - Cyber Security
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA Dual Concentration: HR & Project Mgmt.
- MBA Dual Concentration: BS Mgmt. & HR
- MBA Dual Concentration in Business Mgmt & Project Mgmt
- MBA in Technology Management
- MBA Dual Concentration in Accounting & Project Management
- BS in Business Administration - Business Management
- BS in Business Administration
- BS in Entrepreneurial Studies
- BS in Information Technology Security Technology
- RN to BSN
- BS in International Business
- AS in Business Administration
- Associate of Science - Business Studies
- AS in Health Information Management
- AS in Healthcare Management
- AS in Information Technology Administration and Management
- Associate of Science - Accounting
- Diploma in Medical Office Administration
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Diploma in Bookkeeping and Payroll Accounting
- Certificate in Networking Systems
- Master of Arts in Education
- MS-Criminal Justice
- MBA - Media Management
- Master of Arts in Education: School Leadership in the 21st Century
- BA in Journalism and Mass Communication
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Education Studies
- BA in Business Administration
- BA in Communication Studies
- BA in Liberal Arts
- AA Early Childhood Education
- MBA in Accounting
- MBA in Healthcare Management
- MBA in Human Resources
- MBA in International Business
- MBA in Operations Management
- Master of Accountancy
- Executive Certificate in Health Administration
- Health Informatics Certificate
- Enterprise Resource Planning Certificate
- Supply Chain Management Certificate
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership Online
- Master of Business Administration Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Entrepreneurship - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Human Resource Management - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership Online
- Associate of Arts
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- MA in Education and Human Development in Secondary Special Education and Transition Services
- MA in Education and Human Development in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership
- MA in Education and Human Development in Organizational Leadership and Learning
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Multimedia Development
- Graduate Certificate in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Graduate Certificate in Transition Special Education
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership and Administration
- Graduate Certificate in E-Learning
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Certificate
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Special Education
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Cognition and Instruction
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Gerontology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Human Factors
- MA in Curriculum and Instruction
- MS in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology: General Psychology
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Psychology
- B.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance and Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- BS in Accounting
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in GeroPsychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Forensic Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Health Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Human Factors Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Life Coaching