Electrical Engineering Professions Video: Becoming an Electrical Engineer
Electrical Engineering Professions Video: Becoming an Electrical Engineer Transcript
More than just an electrician, electrical engineers are experts in mathematics, the principles of electrical theory, computer technology and circuit design. They are responsible for designing, developing and testing new electronics equipment and technologies. Opportunities abound in research, academia and a variety of industries. A bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering is required for most positions, with advanced positions demanding a graduate degree.
A bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering can start you on the path to a challenging career working with, and developing, some of the most exciting technologies around. In recent years, electrical engineers have designed everything from electrical systems on the space shuttle to new methods of generating and storing electricity from the sun, tides and winds.
Job Duties and Skills
Like all engineers, the duties of an electrical engineer center around experimentation, innovation and discovery. Depending on their employer's needs, some electrical engineers may devote their efforts to improving existing products and electrical equipment or developing new technologies.
Most electrical engineering careers involve the designing, testing and manufacturing of electrical circuits and components. Electrical engineers are frequently responsible for sketching schematics, using a computer to create a model and prototype preparation. Although technicians typically perform the actual fabrication of a design, some electrical engineers prefer to be more involved with this process, either overseeing the creation of a prototype or actually assembling it themselves. Completed prototypes are tested and refined until a satisfactory final product is completed.
Electrical engineers typically start with a bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. These programs include courses on advanced mathematics and physics, with an emphasis on scientific theories behind electricity. Students can also expect to take lab based courses that offer a chance to build circuits and other electrical equipment.
While a bachelor's degree will be sufficient for most entry-level positions, a master's degree in Electrical Engineering can offer additional career opportunities. Employers respect the commitment that a graduate degree requires and recognize that those with a master's degree have spent time researching the latest technologies and their practical applications. This makes master's degree holders ideal candidates for the most challenging leadership and managerial positions.
Electrical engineers are some of the most versatile professionals around. Electrical engineers are responsible for designing everything from the electrical systems aboard the space shuttle to the inner workings of precision watches. If there's an industry or technology that interests you, chances are that there's a need for electrical engineers in it.
Electrical engineers willing to work in research also have career opportunities with larger electronics and industrial companies and, of course, colleges and universities. Research positions generally require at least a master's degree and in most cases, a doctoral degree. However, the rewards for working with cutting edge technologies and developing the electrical systems of tomorrow can be fantastic.
A formal education and professional experience in electrical engineering can build a foundation for opportunities in decidedly non-technical positions. Many lawyers specializing in patent law begin their education with an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. Policy makers and lobbyists can also benefit from a technical background.
Electrical Engineering Professions Video: Becoming an Electrical Engineer Related Articles
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an electrical engineer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
The time it takes to complete a master's degree in electrical engineering can vary. The length of a program depends upon the curriculum,...
Master's degree programs in electrical engineering typically cover more advanced subject matter in the field. Find out about the...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an architectural engineer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
Online electrical engineering courses study the design, implementation and maintenance of electrical systems for practical use. Classes...
- Distance Learning Certificate in Electrical Engineering
- Distance Learning Electrical Engineering Bs Degree
- Online Degree Programs in Electrical Engineering
- Computer Engineering Technology Certificate Program in Georgia
- Computer Engineering Technology Degrees in Dayton, OH
- Electronics Engineering Technology Certificate Programs in Kennesaw, GA
- Electronics Engineering Technology Career Education in WA
- Best School for Electronics and Electrical Engineering - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Schools for Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Tuition for Electrical Engineering Graduate Schools: Average Costs
- Audio Engineer: Occupational Outlook
- Engineer: How to Become Licensed in the Field of General Engineering
An Associate of Science (A.S.) in Network Technology program is designed to offer training in subjects like network administration, data...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a shoe designer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a commercial interior designer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
The Massachusetts area has eight schools that offer paramedic and EMT programs. Get some information about the programs, and see some...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path, Executive Leader Specialization
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path
- MS in Criminal Justice - Law
- Master of Science in Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Undergraduate in Legal Studies
- BS in Liberal Studies
- BS in Business Administration
- BS in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- AAS in Business Administration - Business
- AAS in Legal Support and Services
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Admin-Office Management
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- AAS in Accounting
- Medical Assisting
- Certificate in Human Services
- Human Services Certificates in Child and Family Services
- Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- Online Master of Liberal Arts
- Online Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership
- Online Master of Business Administration
- Online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Management Online
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Strategic Business Communication Online
- Collision Repair and Refinishing
- Automotive Technology
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Diesel Technology
- Technology and Skilled Trades
- Jack Welch Executive Master of Business Administration
- MBA - Management Concentration
- MBA - Acquisition Concentration
- MBA - Marketing Concentration
- M.Ed. - Technology in Education Concentration
- MBA - Professional Studies Concentration
- BBA - Management Concentration
- BBA - Entrepreneurship
- BS in Criminal Justice - Criminal Justice Administration Concentration
- BBA - Finance Concentration
- BBA - Marketing Concentration
- BBA - Accounting
- AA in Business Administration
- AA in Information Technology
- AA in Marketing
- AA in Acquisition and Contract Management
- AA in Information Systems
- AA in Accounting
- Diploma in Acquisition and Contract Management
- (BS) Accounting
- (BS) Business Administration
- (BS) Business Admin - Asset Management
- (BS) Business Admin - Human Resources
- (BS) Business Admin - New Media Marketing
- (BS) Business Admin - Technology
- (AAS) Business Management & Accounting
- (AOS) Medical Specialties
- (AAS) Graphic Arts
- AS in Business Management
- AS in Business Management - Human Resource Management
- AS in Business Management - Accounting
- AS in Internet Marketing
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Assisting Online
- Medical Billing and Coding
- M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership
- MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Online Master of Public Administration
- MS in Cybersecurity
- Doctor of Psychology - Criminology and Justice Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Human Services
- Doctor of Psychology in Non-Profit Management
- Doctor of Psychology in Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Psychology in Business Psychology
- PhD in Organizational Development and Leadership - Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialization
- Master of Arts in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Criminology and Justice Studies
- MA in Psychology, Organizational Leadership
- MA in Psychology, Business Psychology
- MA in Psychology, Career Management & Counseling
- MA in Organizational Development and Leadership - Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialization
- MS in Film Production
- MS in Game Design
- MS in Entertainment Business
- MS in New Media Journalism
- MFA in Creative Writing
- MS in Public Relations
- BS in Software Development
- BS - Cloud Technologies
- BS - Media Communications Bachelors
- BS Mobile Development Bachelors
- BS in Music Business
- BS in Digital Cinematography