Event Planning Professions Video: How to Become an Event Planner
- Hospitality Professions Video: Career Options for a Degree in Hospitality Management
- Certified Meeting Planner Video: Career Options for Certified Meeting Planners
Event Planning Professions Video: How to Become an Event Planner Transcript
Event planning encompasses everything from meetings to conventions to weddings. Event planners, also known as event coordinators, handle the planning and may also provide hospitality for a large group event or a small gathering. Some planners, such as wedding planners, focus on one particular type of event. Others work in a wide variety of industries.
Event planners can find themselves working in a variety of industries, planning events like weddings, conventions, luncheons and small gatherings. Event planning professionals are charged with planning all of the details for these events--everything from determining locations and speakers, to managing budgets and vendors. It is a field of work that can be fast-paced and requires irregular hours. Travel is also highly likely for most event planners.
Job Duties and Skills
Event planners must have an eye for detail and know how to ask the right questions to determine their clients' needs. Duties include everything from choosing the event location to coordinating food, vendors and entertainment for the event. Post-event work may include surveying attendees and final budget management. The ability to multi-task and stay organized is key. Event planners must also have excellent communication skills--verbal, written and interpersonal.
Many times it is preferred that event planners have a bachelor's degree, though it is not always essential. Backgrounds in hospitality management, marketing or communications may increase one's opportunity for employment. Degrees in meeting management and hospitality are offered at many four-year schools and those who are interested in a career in event planning may consider enrolling in such programs. On-the-job training is typically offered for entry-level planners with advancement occurring as more complex responsibilities are handled. Voluntary certification is also available for event planners through the Convention Industry Council. The CIC offers a Certified Meeting Professional certification that is recognized throughout the industry.
As an event planner, be prepared to work long hours up to and during the event itself. Opportunities for a career in the business can come in working for an event service firm, a hotel, convention center or on your own as an independent consultant. Opportunities may also be available at bridal boutiques, event halls and churches as a wedding or event planner.
The field of event planning can encompass many types of events and industries. Companies big and small may use event planning professionals to help with their own seminars, meetings and conventions. Convention centers may have event planners on staff, and there is always opportunity for individuals to become independent contractors in the event planning field. It is a profession that can lead to long hours and a fast-paced work environment, but also leaves room to be creative.
Event Planning Professions Video: How to Become an Event Planner Related Articles
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an event planner. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
There are a number of online programs that offer professional and advanced degree options in event planning. Students interested in a...
Online event planning courses teach individuals how to prepare and execute all kinds of organized occasions, ranging from private...
Research online event planning courses and programs. Find out what you can learn in these courses and what you'll need in order to...
Learn about the educational requirements to become an event planner. Also, find out about some skills that are crucial to this field, and...
- Event Planning Degrees in Colorado
- Event Planning Courses
- Event Planning Degrees in Georgia
- Event Planning Certificate Programs in Texas
- Schools for Event Planning
- Event Planning Certificate Programs in Massachusetts
- Event Planning Certificate Programs in Arlington
- Associates Degree in Event Planning: Program Summary
- Online Bachelor's Degree in Event Planning: Program Overview
- Architectural Planner: Career Summary
- Event Planner Degree Program Options
- Schools with an Event Planning Major: Info on How to Choose a College
Animal massage education programs provide students with the knowledge and hands-on experience needed to prepare sports animals for events...
Get info about online certificate programs in medical coding. Read about program requirements, course topics and degree levels, and check...
Selecting a college can be overwhelming. Everyone seems to have advice, and conventional wisdom may suggest a particular institution is...
There are approximately 17 schools within New Jersey that have radiology programs. Read an overview of the ten largest schools' programs,...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
- MBA - Marketing
- MBA - Finance
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- AAS in Business Administration - Food & Hotel Management
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration - Event Planning
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
- Master of Business Administration
- Online Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Management Online
- Doctor of Management (DM) - General Concentration (Executive Format)
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General
- Associate of Science in Business Administration
- (BS) Business Administration
- (BS) Business Admin - Asset Management
- (BS) Business Admin - Technology
- PhD in Business Administration - Management
- DBA in General Business
- DBA in International Business
- DBA in Human Resources Management
- PhD in Business Administration - Marketing
- MBA in Marketing
- MBA in General Business
- Accelerated Master of Business
- MBA in Management
- MBA in International Business
- Master of Business Administration - Strategic Management