Exercise Sciences Career Video: Earning a Degree in Exercise Science and Fitness Studies
Exercise Sciences Career Video: Earning a Degree in Exercise Science and Fitness Studies Transcript
If you are into physical fitness, you may want to pursue a degree in the exercise sciences. You will learn how to teach others to improve their overall health and well being through physical exercise. An exercise science degree program can include the study of kinesiology, exercise physiology and biomechanics, among other areas. Whether you want to teach exercise classes, develop wellness programs or study the human cardiopulmonary system, a degree in exercise science is beneficial.
Exercise Science is the study of how exercise and physical movement is utilized to improve physical and mental health. While physical activity in general is beneficial for a healthy lifestyle, the exercise scientist can map out an exercise plan that will improve particular areas of the body and address specific health issues. Students majoring in this field are taught to understand the scientific fundamentals behind physiological responses to physical exercise. This information can then be used in a number of ways. Examples include, improving production in the workplace, fighting disease, preventing injuries, rehabbing injuries and sports and personal training for professional athletes.
The type of degrees available in this field range from basic certification in something like group exercise instruction to earning a master's degree or Ph.D. Some of the more typical coursework includes, exercise physiology, biomechanics, exercise psychology, athletic training and cardiac rehabilitation. Students may also study other forms of other movement-based health programs such as, yoga, tai chi and Pilates.
Job opportunities for the graduate with a degree in exercise science are broad and numerous. Professions include group exercise or aerobics instructors, fitness directors, athletic or personal trainers, biomechanists, sports nutritionists, exercise physiologists, occupational physiologists or cardiopulmonary rehabilitation specialists. Professionals in this field can work in hospitals, gyms, health clubs, long-term care facilities and for sports teams. Many companies now hire graduates in the exercise science field to run in-house wellness programs geared to help improve the health and well-being of employees.
Higher Learning/Graduate Opportunities
Certification is often all that is needed to work as a fitness instructor in a gym or health club facility. However, a bachelor's degree is usually needed for those who wish to move into management, and, in some cases, a master's degree is required. Graduate degrees are also available for those who want a more advanced education in a particular field, such as cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, physical therapy or biomechanics. Some college programs offer exercise science as a specialization prior to entrance into medical school.
Exercise science is a rewarding field that is all about making people better both physically and mentally. The exercise science professional gets to be part of this process while working in a variety of settings and in a variety of health-related occupations.
Exercise Sciences Career Video: Earning a Degree in Exercise Science and Fitness Studies Related Articles
Associate's degree programs in fitness and exercise teach students the connection between health, wellness, and exercise. They prepare...
The field of exercise science combines biology, public health, human anatomy and sports to help make students experts on the maintenance...
Degrees in exercise science typically cover anatomy, fitness training, nutrition, and similar subjects. Find out about the different...
Training programs for fitness professionals are available in a range of specialties. These programs instruct students in fundamental...
Degree programs in exercise science typically cover how exercise interacts with the human body. Find out about the requirements of these...
- Exercise Science Graduate Studies
- Exercise Science Courses
- Exercise Science Majors
- Exercise Science Degrees
- Exercise Science Schools
- Exercise Science Masters
- Distance Learning Exercise Science Degree
- Online Exercise Science Degrees: Program Information
- Turning 'What I Did Last Summer' Into a College Essay
- Exercise Science: Career School Diploma Summary
- Fitness & Nutrition: Career Diploma Overview
- Ayurveda Practitioner: Job Description and Education Requirements
Learn which are the best schools offering graduate degree programs in ancient history. See what makes these schools special. Find out more...
The large animals studied by mammologists depend upon other animals that are important to zoologists for food or as part of the ecosystem...
Ultrasound classes are found as part of undergraduate degree and certificate programs in diagnostic medical sonography, and many courses...
Newport News is a city situated where the James River meets the Chesapeake Bay. A few colleges, universities and specialty schools can be...
- San Diego, California, City Info and Higher Education
- West Palm Beach, Florida (FL) Colleges
- Dialysis Assistant Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a Dialysis Assistant
- Mental Health Counseling Degree in Missouri
- Pathology Assistant Employment Info and Requirements for Becoming a Pathologist Assistant
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Master of Science in Sports Analytics Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Ed.D in Sports Management
- PhD in Education - Sports Management
- Master of Education with a specialization in Athletic Coaching
- MEd in Sports Management
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- Education Specialist with a specialization in Sports Management
- MBA in Healthcare Management
- Master of Health Administration
- Executive Certificate in Health Administration