Flight Attendant Video: Career Overview and Training Requirements for Flight Attendants
- Security Guard Video: Training Requirements for a Career as a Security Officer
- Photographer Video: Training Requirements for a Career in Photography
Flight Attendant Video: Career Overview and Training Requirements for Flight Attendants Transcript
It is mandatory that all major airlines provide a stewardess or flight attendant on flights. Flight attendants work on an airplane to provide security, safety and service to those on board. Attendants need a minimum of a high school diploma and typically receive training while on the job.
Though flight attendants may be known for making a passenger's flight comfortable, the real reason they fly with passengers is to ensure safety. It is a requirement of all major airlines to provide flight attendants during travel for the security of all passengers on board. Though flight attendants do not need an education past high school, a college degree and experience will help qualify attendants for competitive job opportunities.
Job Duties and Skills
Flight attendants are responsible for educating the passengers on a plane about safety and security during travel. Before each flight, attendants will debrief with the pilot to make sure they are knowledgeable about weather conditions, length of the flight, and proper safety procedures. They are to make sure everything from first aid kits to food and beverages are properly stocked and stored for each flight. Flight attendants will also greet passengers, instruct them on storing luggage during flight, and most importantly, show them how to use safety equipment in the case of an emergency. If an emergency occurs during flight, attendants assist passengers and provide direction. Flight attendants must be comfortable working with strangers and able to stay calm under pressure.
At a minimum, flight attendants must have a high school education. They will learn most of their duties during job site training, typically at a flight training center. The period of formal training at a training center can be anywhere from three to eight weeks. Flight attendants must also be certified by the FAA. This certification happens after completion of specific training requirements. These requirements include medical emergency, security procedures and evacuation procedures.
Since travel is the nature of this line of work, flight attendants should be willing to relocate if necessary and have a flexible schedule. Most attendants work nights, weekends and holidays and are frequently required to work on an as-needed or on-call basis. Positions can be found with commercial airlines or large companies that operate aircrafts for the purposes of business.
As a flight attendant, you will have the opportunity to travel to a variety of destinations and interact with diverse populations. You may work long hours that fall on the evenings, weekends or holidays. Formal training is received upon hire with FAA certification shortly after. It is an occupation that bodes well for those who have flexible schedules, a desire to travel and a willingness to relocate.
Flight Attendant Video: Career Overview and Training Requirements for Flight Attendants Related Articles
Flight attendants require a small amount of formal education and substantial training. Learn about the training, job duties and...
Flight attendants give safety instructions and ensure that passengers are comfortable. Technical and community colleges may offer Flight...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a flight attendant. Get an overview of the requirements, including training...
Undergraduates: Have you ever dreamed of being an astronaut? NASA is offering a chance to see what it's like with their Reduced Gravity...
Online flight attendant programs are not available from accredited colleges, due to the hands-on nature of the training and heavy...
- Flight Attendant
- Flight Engineering Course
- Film and Video Career Training in Orlando
- Applied Career Training
- Paralegal Career Training in Manchester, NH
- Electrician Career Training in Torrence, CA
- Advanced Cooking Career Training in California
- Flight Controller Training and Degree Program Information
- Flight Instructor Training: Program Information
- Flight Safety Training: Program Overview
- Aerospace Science Degree Program Information
- Online Aviation Masters Degree Program Overview
Research the requirements to become a certified mechanical inspector. Learn about the job description and duties, and explore the...
Read about behavioral science programs, which help students prepare for careers in psychology, psychiatry, public health, and medical...
Get info about online associate's degree programs in electronics engineering technology. Read about program requirements, course topics...
Architecture studio design courses are available through various bachelor's and master's degree programs and provide students with the...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MBA - Marketing
- MBA - Finance
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- AAS in Business Administration - Food & Hotel Management
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration - Event Planning
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
- BS in Hospitality Management
- BS in Hotel & Restaurant Management
- BA in Food & Beverage Management
- AS in Applied Science - Hospitality Management
- AS in Restaurant & Catering Management
- Diploma in Hospitality & Restaurant Business Management
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Restaurant Management
- Diploma in Event Management
- Certificate in Event Management
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- MBA - Media Management
- MBA in Entrepreneurship
- Master of Arts in Organizational Management: Human Resources Management
- Master of Arts in Organizational Management: Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Organizational Management
- BA in Business Administration
- BA in Service Management - Hospitality Enterprise
- BA in Operations Management and Analysis
- BA in Organizational Management
- BA in International Business
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Business Admin.
- Master of Business Administration - Management (Spanish)
- BA in Business Administration - Management
- Business Administration, BA - Management
- AA in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Executive Management (Virtual Format)
- Master of Business Administration - No Specialization
- B.S. Hospitality Management
- B.S. Business Administration - No Specialization
- B.S. General Studies - Business
- B.S. Management - No Specialization
- A.S. Business
- A.S. General Studies - Business