Health Information Technology Video: Career Options in Medical Information Systems
Health Information Technology Video: Career Options in Medical Information Systems Transcript
If you have a desire to work in the healthcare field but don't want to deal one-on-one with patients, you may want to consider the field of health information technology. Hospitals, doctor's offices and other healthcare-related facilities use health information technology to store and maintain medical records and other health information electronically.
Health information technology involves the electronic storage and management of medical records. IT management helps to insure improved quality of health care, avert medical errors, reduce medical costs, decrease paperwork and enhance administration efficiency. By using the most up-to-date computer technology available, the medical community can increase the chances for early disease detection, improve disease management and help get the most out of every healthcare dollar spent. Health information technology is about maintaining better care of health information so it is more accessible to patients and their physicians. By storing it and keeping it all together in one safe place, it becomes easier for the patients to understand their personal health records, share it with medical personnel and receive the healthcare best suited to their individual needs.
Job Skills and Duties
People working in the field of health information technology must have strong communication skills and be excellent record keepers. They should know the latest medical terminology and have a basic understanding of human biology and physiology. They also need strong listening skills because they are often asked to transcribe a physician's verbal notes. Health information technicians will use classification systems to help determine the particular illness being treated and to help estimate reimbursement costs from insurance companies. They also work with special medical software.
For medical record and health information technicians, an associate degree is usually sufficient to gain employment. Though it is not required, many prospective employers prefer hiring those who have been certified as Registered Health Information Technicians. Certification requires passage of an exam administered by the American Health Information Management Association. One must also have graduated from a two-year health informatics and health information management program. Those who wish to become managers also need a bachelor's or master's degree in health information management.
Well Known Jobs Within this Field of Expertise
Positions in this field include medical coders, who use specific codes to identify medical conditions for insurance purposes, medical transcriptionists, who transcribe for physicians, data analysts and health information technicians. People in this field generally work for healthcare facilities, government agencies, healthcare vendors, insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies and consulting firms.
Health information technology helps improve the overall healthcare industry. It does this by making it possible for a patient's medical records and health information to be easier to understand, easier to access and more available to patients and medical personnel alike.
Health Information Technology Video: Career Options in Medical Information Systems Related Articles
Medical and health information technology certification is required for technicians in that field. Get some quick facts about the...
Students interested in studying health information technology in Madison, WI, have very few schools to choose from. Read about the top...
There are only several schools near Long Beach that offer programs in health information technology. Read about the top local school's...
Chicago has about 13 schools with programs related to health information technology. Find the best program for you by reading about...
At least two schools near the San Bernardino area offer degrees in health information technology. Find the best program for you by...
- Health Information Technology Certificate Program in Arizona
- Health Information Technology Certificate Programs in Woburn, MA
- Health Information Technology Degrees in Indiana
- Medical Information Technology Schools
- Health Information Technology Degrees in NJ
- Health Information Technology
- Health Information Technology Career Education in Atlanta
- Top Degree Programs in Health Information Technology - Portland, OR
- Top School in Spokane, WA, for a Health Information Technology Degree
- Online Health Information Technology Courses and Classes
- Top School in Tampa for a Health Information Technology Degree
- Associate of Health Information Technology: Online Degree
This article explores careers in education, law, social services, healthcare and design that provide opportunities for professionals to help...
Learn how to become an administrative nurse. Research the job description and the education and licensing requirements. Then find out how to...
Cardiologists are board-certified physicians who specialize in heart problems, issues, and procedures involving the arteries and veins....
Audio engineering programs are offered by community colleges and 4-year colleges and universities. When considering a program, students...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- International MBA in Healthcare Informatics
- MBA in Healthcare Informatics
- MS in Information Technology - Healthcare Informatics Concentration
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- MS in Management - Healthcare
- BS Health Science
- BS Business Administration with concentration in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- BA/Health and Human Services - Health Care Informatics Systems
- BS/Health Information Management
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration
- DBA in Health Care Administration
- PhD in Business Administration - Health Care Administration
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- MS in Health Care Informatics
- MS in Nursing: Health Care Informatics
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration