Hospitality Professions Video: Career Options for a Degree in Hospitality Management
- Environmental Management Professions Video: Career Options
- International Business Video: Global Management and International Business Degree Info
Hospitality Professions Video: Career Options for a Degree in Hospitality Management Transcript
Hospitality professionals can find themselves working in a variety of industries and locations. Restaurants, hotels, spas and resorts all employ individuals who provide hospitality for others. Even the fields of event planning, travel and tourism are part of the hospitality field.
Hospitality management professionals can be found in a variety of positions and settings, including spas, resorts, travel centers, restaurants or hotels. The field is one that affects a variety of businesses all over the world.
Job Duties and Skills
Those in the hospitality management profession need to have keen customer service skills. They will find themselves working long hours--even nights and weekends--and should be prepared to deal with a variety of clientele. Some of their job duties may include: event planning, travel planning, budgeting, employee management, scheduling, administration and maintenance. Typically, these individuals will have worked their way up or have been hired after obtaining a bachelor's degree in a related field, with on-the-job training specific to the organization or location they work for.
Though not always a necessity, many employers like to hire professionals in the hospitality management field with bachelor's degrees in hospitality management, tourism management or a similar field. Degrees in business or operations management are also beneficial when looking for a job in this field. On-the-job training is also offered, depending on the type of position and location you work for.
The area of hospitality management is broad and as such, positions can be found in a variety of locations all over the world. Individuals interested in the career may find themselves working in casinos, lodges, resorts, restaurants, spas, hotels or convention centers. Positions may include such titles as hotel managers, event planners, casino managers or travel agents. The area of hospitality is global and therefore spans through many industries, giving individuals a great variety of positions to choose from.
Those who are interested in travel or tourism may also be interested in a hospitality management career. Positions can be found in a variety of businesses and locations around the world. Education is available at technical schools as well as four-year universities, many of which offer hospitality management degrees or certificates. It is a career that has the potential for long hours, many of which can occur during nights or on weekends. Beyond a degree, further certification is not necessary, but can be found through professional organizations affiliated with the tourism and hospitality industry.
Hospitality Professions Video: Career Options for a Degree in Hospitality Management Related Articles
Students who want to break into the hospitality field can consider an associate's degree in hospitality management. Get more information...
Students interested in studying hospitality management in Birmingham, AL, have only a few schools to choose from. Read about the top...
Students interested in studying hospitality management in the Bakersfield, CA, area have only a few schools to choose from. Read about...
Degrees in hospitality management typically cover the basics of hospitality administration. Find out about the requirements of these...
Learn what makes the two top schools for earning an MBA in hospitality management stand out. Find out about school rankings, program...
- Associate's Degree in Hospitality Management
- Masters Degree in Hospitality Management
- Distance Learning Degree Programs in Hospitality Management
- Hospitality Management Degree Program in Florida
- Bachelors Degree Program in Hospitality Management
- Distance Learning Hospitality Management Graduate Degree Program
- Hospitality Management Degree Programs in Utah
- Hospitality Management Masters Certificate Programs
- Executive MBA in Hospitality Management: Program Overviews
- Top School in Columbus, Ohio, for a Hospitality Management Degree
- Top School with Degree Programs in Hospitality Management - Atlanta, GA
- Best Degree Programs for Hospitality Management - Honolulu, HI
Learn about some of the best schools in the country to offer graduate-level communication programs. Go over program details for these...
Working as a cinematographer or a cameraman requires an ability to focus on the visual aspects of live action. The work setting may be...
Two colleges in the Houston area that offer engine repair courses and programs are profiled in this article. Get some information about...
Students interested in studying electronic commerce in Raleigh, NC, have only a few schools to choose from. Read on to discover more about...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- BS in Hospitality Management
- BS in Hotel & Restaurant Management
- BA in Food & Beverage Management
- AS in Applied Science - Hospitality Management
- AS in Restaurant & Catering Management
- Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts & Restaurant Ownership
- Diploma in Hospitality & Restaurant Business Management
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Restaurant Management
- Diploma in Event Management
- Certificate in Event Management
- MBA - Marketing
- MBA - Finance
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- AAS in Business Administration - Food & Hotel Management
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration - Event Planning
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Business Admin.
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Master of Business Administration in Interdisciplinary Business
- Master of Business Administration - Executive Management (Virtual Format)
- Master of Business Administration - No Specialization
- B.S. Hospitality Management
- B.S. Business Administration - No Specialization
- B.S. General Studies - Business
- B.S. Management - No Specialization
- A.S. Business
- A.S. General Studies - Business
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Business Process Innovation
- AS in Business Administration
- Certification - Business Administration
- Diploma Program - Business Administration
- Accelerated Masters in Business Administration
- DUAL MBA-MSN
- Masters in Business Administration
- Bachelors in Management