Kinesiology Video: Career Options for a Degree in Kinesiology
Kinesiology Video: Career Options for a Degree in Kinesiology Transcript
If you are interested in helping others deal with ailments and maintain proper health, but want to go beyond the traditional provinces of the medical profession, you may want to look into kinesiology. Kinesiologists utilize exercise science, fitness and athletic training, as well as muscle testing and body manipulations to help maintain a positive energy flow throughout the body.
Kinesiology is the study of human movement and how movement and exercise contribute toward healing. Kinesiologists use muscle feedback and body awareness to reduce stress and pain. Kinesiology is based on the premise that the body contains innate healing properties that can be better accessed through certain manipulations. A practice called muscle testing or muscle monitoring is used to recognize chemical, structural or emotional imbalances in the body. The blockages of energy flow these imbalances are treated with massage, light touch, mild corrections and exercise. Kinesiology is not meant to treat or diagnose disease but can be used in rehabilitation and in the possible prevention of disease.
Job Skills and Duties
Once blockages in the body are identified, kinesiologists come up with a plan to help the patient eliminate discomfort and promote good health. The plan will use energy balancing to deal with stress factors, such as a nutrition, pain, emotional dysfunction or a lack of mental and physical coordination. Physical movement and corrections are used to achieve this balance. Practitioners in the field are taught to tap into energies other forms of medicine may overlook. They develop the skills to look beyond symptoms and to 'listen' to what a body is trying to tell them. Kinesiologists also do more than just deal with ailments. They devise programs that help patients maintain balance and health.
Prospective students interested in this field can earn a bachelor's degree in Kinesiology and Exercise Science before moving on to a master's degree program. Degree programs focus on anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, biophysics, biomechanics, motor behavior and exercise and therapeutic rehabilitation.
Well Known Jobs Within this Field of Expertise
Jobs in which kinesiology can be utilized are numerous. People in this field often work as athletic trainers, college coaches, fitness instructors, personal trainers, sports directors, strength and conditioning coaches and recreational therapists. Kinesiology practitioners are involved in health promotion, rehabilitation, ergonomics, disability management, health and safety, and health research.
The field of kinesiology is approximately 50 years old and still relatively new. As often happens with new procedures, many health practitioners have only recently recognized it as legitimate. Its recognition as a viable health science does however continue to grow as the health industry focuses more on maintaing good health through exercise and proper body movements.
Kinesiology Video: Career Options for a Degree in Kinesiology Related Articles
Kinesiology is the study of human movement. Kinesiologists often study patients' motor skills, which may be damaged due to injury,...
Students may earn a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology, with available focuses in education and athletic training. Master's-level...
Learn about physical therapist assistant programs at three top colleges and universities. Also, find a list of other schools that provide...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a kinesiotherapist. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
Find out about online kinesiology courses and in which degree programs they're most commonly offered. Get course descriptions, program...
- Kinesiology Degree
- Kinesiology Programs
- Kinesiology Colleges
- Kinesiology Graduate
- Kinesiology Courses
- Kinesiology Major
- Kinesiology Education
- Online PhD in Kinesiology: Doctoral Program Information
- Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiology: Program Overview
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Kinesiology?
- 2-Year Online Physiology Degrees: Program Overviews
- Health Consequences College Students Should Consider Before Drinking
Learn about important considerations when selecting an online corrections school. Keep reading to get an overview of the program options,...
Online spa management courses are available through many colleges and universities. These courses serve as continuing education for...
The Fresno, CA, area has several colleges that offer auto mechanic programs. Learn about the programs, admission info and program...
Kinesiotherapy training is typically offered as a concentration under a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MS in Sport Management
- MBA in Sport Management
- MBA in Athletic Administration
- International MBA in Athletic Administration
- International MBA in Sport Management
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- BS Health Science
- BS in Business Studies - Sport Management
- BS Business Administration with concentration in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration
- BS in Sports Management
- Ed.D in Sports Management
- PhD in Education - Sports Management
- Master of Education with a specialization in Athletic Coaching
- MEd in Sports Management
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- Education Specialist with a specialization in Sports Management
- M.S. Athletic Training
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Administration
- B.S. General Studies - Life Sciences
- B.S. Healthcare Administration
- A.S. General Studies - Life Sciences
- PhD in Organizational Development and Leadership - Sport, Fitness, and Wellness Management Specialization
- Doctor of Psychology - Sport and Performance Psychology
- Doctor of Psychology - Health and Wellness Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Sport and Performance Psychology
- MA in Organizational Development and Leadership - Sport, Fitness, and Wellness Management Specialization
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Health and Wellness Psychology
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Sports Business
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- BS in Sports Management
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science with an Emphasis in Trauma
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration