Logistics and Transportation Professions Video: Career Options
- International Business Video: Global Management and International Business Degree Info
- Hospitality Professions Video: Career Options for a Degree in Hospitality Management
Logistics and Transportation Professions Video: Career Options Transcript
Logistical management involves managing fleets of vehicles and transport design. A career in logistics and transportation could lead to a variety of jobs, including driver, mechanic and laborer.
Logistics and transportation is an industry found on the ocean, on the ground and in the air. A career in logistics means managing the flow of information, goods and resources. Truck drivers, warehouse workers, managers and equipment operators are just some of the many people who control the transport and delivery of goods.
Job Skills and Duties
The skills necessary to work in logistics and transportation are as varied as the jobs. The most important skills an employee of the logistics and transport industry can possess are a good work ethic and the ability to work under pressure. Some jobs within the field require varying degrees of specialized skills and training. Pilots need to know how to fly aircraft loaded with people and goods. Truck drivers need to know how to operate large, diesel trucks. Longshoremen must understand the controls of a crane. Logistical managers must figure out the relative needs and costs of transport. One would hardly use a semi to transport a small box or charter a flight when something isn't needed for another week. Managing logistics is all about ensuring that needs are met in the most efficient way possible.
Training in the logistics and transportation industry is different with each job. Laborers that load cargo containers and truck beds need little more than a high school diploma. Truck drivers need a commercial driver's license or CDL. Driver training courses, which help prepare students to pass their government-mandated CDL exam, are offered all over the United States. Such courses vary in length from a few hours to a few weeks. Pilots, on the other hand, spend years earning a bachelor's degree and gaining the necessary flight experience. The Federal Aviation Authority only certifies pilots who are 18 years of age or older and have over 250 hours of flight experience. Airline and vehicle mechanics usually need a technical diploma or associate's degree. Many gain the necessary experience for these positions through service with the armed forces.
Well Known Jobs within This Field of Expertise
There are many jobs within this field. Airline pilots, truck drivers and delivery drivers all operate the equipment that transports goods. Forklift drivers and other laborers work in warehouses to load planes, trucks or boats. Some city services, such as garbage collection and snow plowing, require logistics and transport training. These experiences can all be necessary in getting a job as a logistics manager. With so many goods being moved every single day, there is virtually no limit to the types of jobs in this industry.
A job in logistics and transportation carries a lot of pressure. Workers in this field need to remain focused on their task under pressure and in noisy environments. People who like to be active and can complete a task quickly and efficiently will excel in this field.
Bureau of Labor Statistic Occupational Outlook Handbook - Truck Drivers
Wikipedia - Logistics
Department of Labor Career Voyages - Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
Logistics and Transportation Professions Video: Career Options Related Articles
Learn about online degree programs with logistics and transportation courses. Get an overview of the program types, requirements and...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a transportation and logistics manager. Get a quick view of the requirements...
There are several types of master's degree programs related to transportation and logistics management. Find out about all of the degree...
Learn about the education and preparation needed for a career in logistics. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a transportation specialist. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
- Logistics Management Training
- Logistics Management Degree
- Transportation Design Schools
- Transportation Major
- Transportation Degree
- Logistics Schools
- Logistics College
- Transportation Coordinator: Job Description, Duties and Outlook
- Transportation Planning Courses and Classes Overview
- Transportation Engineer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Transportation Inspector: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Job Description of a Logistics Recruiter
Research the requirements to become a public school teacher. Learn about the job description and duties, and read the step-by-step process...
Learn how to become an animal doctor. Research the education and career requirements, licensure and experience needed for starting a career...
Surgical technician training programs teach skills used when assisting doctors, nurses and other personnel before, during and after...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a television presenter. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MBA in Global Management
- MBA in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Arts in Organizational Management: Supply Chain Management
- MA/Organizational Management - Media Management
- MBA in Business Economics
- BA in Supply Chain Management
- BA in Business Administration
- BA in Operations Management and Analysis
- BA in Service Management
- BA in Service Management - Restaurant Enterprise Management
- BA in Service Management - Mass-Market Retail Enterprise Management
- DBA in General Business
- DBA in Management
- DBA in Project Management
- PhD in Business Administration - International Business
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Small Business Development and Entrepreneurship
- PhD-TIM - IT Project Management
- MBA in General Business
- MBA in Management
- MBA in Project Management
- Accelerated Master of Business
- Master of Business Administration - Strategic Management
- MBA in Marketing
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- DBA - Project Management: Business
- PhD - Business Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- DIT - Project Management
- MBA - Global Ops and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- MBA - Business Administration (ACBSP-accredited)
- MBA - Project Management (ACBSP-, PMI-GAC-accredited)
- BS - Business Administration (ACBSP-accredited)
- BS - Management and Leadership (ACBSP-accredited)
- BS - Project Management: Business (ACBSP-, PMI-GAC-accredited)
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Project Management
- Master of Science in Business Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Business Admin.
- BS in Entrepreneurial Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Business Analytics
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Triple Concentration