Master's Degree Details Video
Master's Degree Details Video Transcript
So, you've earned a bachelor's degree? Now what? If going back to school sounds like a good idea you might want to consider earning a Master of Science (M.S.) or Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in graduate school!
What is a Master's Degree?
A master's degree is an advanced degree awarded by most colleges and universities. The master's degree is a one to three-year full-time program, beyond the bachelor's degree, that involves an in depth and focused study on a single discipline.
A bachelor's degree is usually a prerequisite for students entering a master's degree program. Master's degrees typically require one to three years of post-baccalaureate study towards the completion of about 30 credit hours. Many programs also require completion of a research report or thesis. Students must also maintain a minimum grade point average to earn their degree.
What are the Degree Options
Many students pursue master's degrees as an extenson of their bachelor's degrees, choosing a course of study that complements their degree focus. Other students choose a master's degree program that is entirely different from their bachelor's degree.
Two of the most commonly awarded degrees are the Master of Arts (M.A.), awarded in the humanities and social sciences, and the Master of Science (M.S.), awarded in mathematics, science and engineering. There are also several specialized or professional master's degrees available, such as:
- Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.)
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
- Master of Education (M.Ed.)
- Master of Architecture (M.Arch.)
- Master of Social Work (M.S.W.)
Why Earn a Master's Degree?
Students decide to pursue a master degree for a variety of reasons. For some, it is a passionate interest in their chosen discipline that drives them to learn more. Some professional or technical areas of study require a master's degree for entry-level positions. Others earn a master's as a prerequisite for earning a doctorate degree. Some students, especially those in a liberal arts discipline, choose to earn a master's degree in a new field, such as business, to expand their employment opportunities. Many others hope to increase their income potential by entering the workforce with an advanced degree.
Graduate school isn't the right choice for everyone but it can be a intellectually rewarding exprerience that may also be an advantage in landing a well-paying job.
Master's Degree Details Video Related Articles
Learn about three leading engineering and communications schools that offer master's programs in telecommunications. Find out about the...
Master's programs in nutrition generally cover nutrition epidemiology, research methods, nutrition therapy and pharmacology. Continue...
Arts and communications is generally offered as a bachelor's degree program. Continue reading for an overview of the programs, as well as...
The myth of the starving artist is seen as anything from a noble pursuit to a punchline. But if stability matters to you - and who could...
As budgets get tighter and tighter, some teachers are seeking creative ways to get badly needed supplies. In New York City, schools can...
- Masters Degree in Journalism
- Master's Degree Ohio
- University Masters Degree in Genetics
- Master's Degree in Gerontology
- Masters Degree Recording
- Masters Degree in Nutrition
- Masters Degree in Spanish
- Tuesday Talks: Chat With the White House About the Arts
- Distance Learning Masters Degrees for Nurses: Program Options
- Top Civil Engineering Masters Programs: List of Schools
- Masters in Community Counseling: Program Information
- Masters in Computer Education: Program Information
Business analysts and business systems analysts may have similar titles, but the specific focus of their work differs greatly. This article...
Game design and programming includes traditional video gaming, but it can also be used in classroom teaching, artificial intelligence and...
Learn how to become a lighting designer. Explore the education and training information and experience required for starting a career in...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a nurse. Get a quick view of the requirements and details about programs, job...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Science in Finance
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Real Estate
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Autism Spectrum Disorder
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- MA in Education and Human Development in Secondary Special Education and Transition Services
- MA in Education and Human Development in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership
- MA in Education and Human Development in Organizational Leadership and Learning
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication - Advocacy and Social Impact Concentration
- Master of Arts in Economics
- Master of Public Administration and Policy
- Master of Science in Agile Project Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Arts in Education
- MS-Criminal Justice
- MBA - Media Management
- Master of Arts in Education: School Leadership in the 21st Century
- MA in Communication
- Master of Liberal Arts
- MA in Science Writing
- MS in Applied Economics
- MS in Geographic Information Systems
- MS in Bioinformatics
- Master of Business Administration in Interdisciplinary Business
- Master of Business Administration in Taxation
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Master of Science in Taxation
- Master of Science in Library and Information Science
- Master of Science in Library and Information Science: Academic Librarianship