Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Professions Video: Career Options
Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Professions Video: Career Options Transcript
Medical coding and medical billing professionals are part of a healthcare administration team. They work in health care organizations such as hospitals, clinics or assisted living homes. These professionals may concentrate on general medical assisting or provide specific services to the company depending on the size of the facility they work in.
Medical billing and coding professionals keep accurate information in a patient's medical record pertaining to the types of services received and costs to clinics, hospitals, and insurance agencies. They use databases and other computer programs to calculate costs and keep track of a patient's medical procedures. They routinely work with physicians and other healthcare professionals to gather information or obtain details on services provided. Although most of the skills specific to an organization are learned on the job, this profession requires a few years of post-secondary schooling.
Job Duties and Skills
Job duties for medical insurance billing and coding professionals can vary from location to location. At small healthcare facilities, these professionals may also take on the role as medical assistants, performing additional administrative tasks along with the maintenance of patient records. These duties can include filling insurance forms, arranging for facility admissions, scheduling appointments and paying the bills. Traditional billing and coding specialists will keep tabs on a patient's medical record, making sure services are properly coded, identified and billed for. Accuracy and attention to detail is key because this information needs to be maintained in the organization's computer database. Codes are assigned for each procedure and classified through use of the computer to complete the billing and payment process. These specific skills are typically learned on the job because facilities frequently use different database systems and procedures.
An associate's degree is usually required for medical billing and coding positions. There is also the option to become a Registered Health Information Technician through the American Health Information Management Association. Certified individuals are sometimes favored by employers. It is important to study medical terminology, statistics, database management and health information during your coursework. You may also become a certified coder, an option offered by a few different organizations. Certified coding status can be obtained from the Board of Medical Specialty Coding and the Professional Association of Healthcare Coding Specialist (PAHCS) or the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). There is also the option to become a Registered Health Information Technician through the American Health Information Management Association. Certified individuals are sometimes favored by employers.
With the right education and certification, career opportunities can be plentiful. Those interested in the field may go on to become medical information technicians, medical record coders, health information coders or coding specialists. Advancement typically happens through specializing in a certain area, such as cancer registry or privacy and security or by accepting a position in management.
In conclusion, medical billing and coding professionals work in a variety of medical settings to ensure accuracy in a patient's medical record. They keep track of procedures and bill those procedures according to the database system of codes that has been set. It is typical for these professionals to have an associate's degree in medical billing or coding. Degreed individuals are able to learn technical skills on the job and can advance through additional certification, training, or specialization.
Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Professions Video: Career Options Related Articles
An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Medical Insurance Billing and Coding program can prepare individuals for careers in the...
Learn about programs in medical insurance billing and coding, which can help students prepare for national certification exams. Read...
A number of schools in the Baltimore area have top ranking medical insurance billing and coding programs. Read on to find out more about...
Medical billing and coding certificates teach students about the insurance system and how to file claims. Learn about program...
Get info about online programs in medical billing and coding. Read about program requirements, course topics and degree levels, and check...
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Degrees in Florida
- Medical Billing and Coding Degrees in Texas
- Medical Billing and Coding Degrees in Atlanta
- Medical Coding and Billing Degree Programs in Union, NJ
- Medical Billing and Coding Degrees in Concord, NH
- Medical Coding and Billing Career Education in North Hollywood, CA
- Medical Billing and Coding Degrees in New York
- Online Schools with Medical Billing and Coding Programs: How to Choose
- Medical Coding and Billing: Online Diploma
- Degree Options in Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Billing and Coding Job Options and Requirements
- Online Associate Degree in Medical Billing and Coding: Program Info
Graduate programs in biotechnology allow students to gain the necessary knowledge to seek careers as biological scientists, researchers or...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a loss prevention manager. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a pharmacist. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about...
Few schools in the Pittsburgh, PA, area have top ranking paralegal programs. Read on to find out more about what one of these schools has...
- Best School for Electronics and Electrical Engineering - Phoenix AZ
- Income Tax Preparation Training
- Top Ranked School for a Masters in Accounting Degree - Jacksonville FL
- Physician Education
- School Teacher Degrees Top Universities with Degrees in Education and School Administration - Salt Lake City UT
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Technology Management
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Public Safety Leadership
- MBA Dual Concentration in Healthcare Management & Project Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science - Healthcare Management With a Dental Hygiene Emphasis
- AS in Medical Billing & Insurance Coding
- AS in Health Information Management
- AS in Healthcare Management
- Diploma in Medical Billing and Insurance Coding
- Diploma in Medical Office Administration
- Master of Science in Health Services Administration: Clinical Care Management
- Master of Health Services Administration
- MBA - Health Services Administration Concentration
- BBA - Health Services Administration Concentration
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Bachelor - Health Services Administration
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- MSM in Healthcare
- MBA in Healthcare Management
- International MBA in Healthcare Management
- International MBA in Healthcare Informatics
- MS in Health Information Management
- BS Business Admin w/conc in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration
- BS Health Science
- (BS) Health Information Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- BS - Health Care Administration
- BS - Health Care Administration/Emer Med Service
- AS - Health Information Science
- Graduate Certificate - Health Care Management
- Doctor of Management in Health Care Management & Leadership
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- BS in Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Care Management - Health Informatics
- AS in Health Administration Services
- DHA - Health Care Quality and Analytics
- DHA - Health Care Leadership
- MHA - Health Care Leadership
- MHA - Health Care Informatics
- BS - Health Care Administration Leadership
- BS - Health Care Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- BS - Health Information Technology (ABET-accredited)