Personal Trainer Video: Career Options in Athletic Training
Personal Trainer Video: Career Options in Athletic Training Transcript
One option in athletic training is to become a physical trainer. Physical trainers typically work one-on-one with clients to provide them with fitness advice and regimes, including personalized work outs. There isn't a set amount of training needed to become a personal trainer, though most states do require certification.
As a personal trainer, you have the ability to work closely with clients in small group settings or one-on-one to provide them with fitness advice and personalize workout plans. Personal trainers usually work on location at their clients' homes or in a gym. Training and certification varies among states, but most often, personal trainers are required to become certified or licensed in some way.
Job Duties and Skills
Personal trainers design personalized workout routines for their clients. They help clients learn about nutrition, and assist them in achieving their fitness goals. They should be aware of a variety of exercise techniques to accommodate the needs of their clients. Keeping records of clients' progress and fitness levels is also part of the job. As a personal trainer, you should be physically fit yourself and be able to communicate effectively with others.
Many employers and fitness centers require personal trainers to have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physical education, kinesiology or fitness and exercise science. Most states also require passing a certification exam which is typically good for two years. Exams typically cover topics such as exercise techniques, assessing fitness levels, human physiology and exercise program development. Being CPR certified is also a common requirement.
Personal training is a nice option for those who are looking for flexibility or part-time work. Many trainers work part-time, but can also increase their work load by taking on clients outside of their day job. It is common for personal trainers to work during the evening and weekend hours since many of them are employed at fitness facilities that are open 24 hours. Advancement in the field is possible with continued training and advanced degrees. Personal trainers can become part of the management team at a fitness facility or a head trainer. These positions typically have added responsibilities such as hiring personal training staff and acquiring new clients.
Personal Trainer Video: Career Options in Athletic Training Related Articles
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an athletic trainer. Get a quick view of the requirements, including degree...
Athletic training bachelor's degree programs focus on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of muscle, joint and bone injuries related...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a personal trainer. Get a quick view of the requirements and details about...
Read about the top schools for athletic trainers, who often work with physicians to diagnose, treat and prevent sports-related injuries....
Learn the differences between athletic training and sports medicine bachelor's degree programs. Explore common courses in each program...
- Training Requirements for Personal Trainer
- Athletic Trainer Course
- Athletic Trainer Degree
- Athletic Trainer Major
- Athletic Trainer Certificate
- How Do I Become an Athletic Trainer
- Certified Athletic Trainer in Memphis Tennessee
- Masters Degree in Athletic Training: Program Summaries
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Kinesiology?
- Personal Trainer Associates Degree Program Information
- Salary and Career Info for an Athletic Trainer
- Sports Therapist Degree Program Overviews
See our list of the top free online bookkeeping courses. Learn what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course...
A master's degree in philosophy gives students the logical thinking skills needed for a wide variety of careers. Find out about some of the...
Those interested in graphic animation can enroll in either associate's or bachelor's degree programs. Graphic animation includes training...
Students interested in studying to become a pharmacy technician in Dallas have many schools to choose from. Read about the top local...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management
- Doctor of Psychology - Sport and Performance Psychology
- Doctor of Psychology - Health and Wellness Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Sport and Performance Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Health and Wellness Psychology
- Master of Science in Sports Analytics Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Sports Business
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- BS in Sports Management
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science with an Emphasis in Trauma