Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Career Video: Becoming a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Career Video: Becoming a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep Transcript
A salesperson can work or specialize in many areas, including pharmaceutical sales. Pharmaceutical sales reps sell and market pharmaceutical products to doctors, physicians, hospitals, clinics and other medical facilities.
Job Duties and Skills
Pharmaceutical sales reps are charged with selling products from pharmaceutical companies to other businesses in the medical profession. Rather than concentrating on consumer sales, this is a position that deals with business-to-business sales and marketing. You will need to be able to learn and disperse information that is complex and scientific in nature to work. Knowledge of the biology and chemistry fields is a plus. Excellent communication skills are needed as your primary role is to sell product and help others understand the value and benefit of the product. A good memory is also key since you will be relaying product information to clients and need to have the knowledge to answer any product questions they may have.
As a pharmaceutical rep at a large company, it is more than likely that you will need a bachelor's degree or even an MBA. Relevant subjects may include health science, biology or chemistry. Smaller companies may take sales reps on at the entry-level who have adequate sales experience, especially business-to-business sales training. Employees who have a background in healthcare or some type of clinical background can also be seen as advantageous to hire. Being able to prove your previous sales success and experience will be beneficial when seeking a job. Knowledge of medical terms, theories and sales techniques is also a plus.
Becoming a pharmaceutical sales rep lends itself to a lot of flexibility. Many times you are able to set your own hours, act as your own boss and drive a company car. It is a profession that is lucrative as the baby boomers become older and more and more people are in need of medications. Many times there is a lot of travel associated with this position as representatives will have a set geographic territory they will serve. This may even mean relocating to another area. Sales representatives who demonstrate their skills and are successful can at many times move up in the field quite quickly.
In conclusion, the field of pharmaceutical sales can be lucrative, flexible and rewarding for someone who likes to work independently and control their own schedule. Training and education is dependent on the type of company or organization you wish to work for. Good communication skills and an aptitude to learn and disseminate technical information is also key to this position.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Career Video: Becoming a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep Related Articles
A bachelor's degree generally meets minimum education requirements for sales careers involving scientific products, such as...
While aspiring pharmaceutical sales reps can pursue general bachelor's degrees in marketing or sales, a more tailored Bachelor of Science...
A degree that comprises courses in both pharmacology and marketing, such as a Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Marketing, is ideal...
Programs for aspiring pharmaceutical sales representatives teach students how to inform physicians, hospitals and pharmacists about newly...
Degree programs in sales are usually offered at the undergraduate level or as professional certificate programs. Get details on rankings,...
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Become a Sales Representative
- Sales Representative Degree
- Pharmaceutical Degree
- Pharmaceutical Colleges
- San Diego Sales School
- Pharmaceutical Management Courses
- Highest Paying Sales Careers in the U.S.
- Professional Sales Major: Information and Requirements
- Top Schools for Pharmaceutical Sciences and Administration
- Bachelor's Degree in Pharmaceutical Science
- Agricultural Sales Professional: Job Description, Duties and Salary
Managing directors and CEOs can be interchangeable titles, but when they are both employed by an organization the difference in duties is...
Psychiatrists and psychotherapists are caregivers for those who may be dealing with mental disorders. This article has information about the...
There are 25 schools located in Greensboro, North Carolina accessible within a 25-mile radius. Learn more about these institutions to help...
Prospective fruit and vegetable carvers learn to use knives, peelers and other tools to shave down and shape food into flowers,...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MBA - Marketing
- BS in Business Administration - Sales Management
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- AAS in Business Administration - Sales
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration - Customer Service
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration, Retail Management Specialization
- DBA with an Emphasis in Marketing
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Marketing)
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- MBA: Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Marketing
- BS in Business Admin.
- Master of Business Administration - Management (Spanish)
- BA in Business Administration - Marketing
- BA in Business Administration - Management
- Business Administration, BA - Management
- AA in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration in Interdisciplinary Business
- Master of Business Administration - Executive Management (Virtual Format)
- Master of Business Administration - No Specialization
- B.S. General Studies - Marketing
- B.S. Marketing - Analytics
- B.S. Marketing - Services and Non-Profit
- B.S. Marketing - Social Media
- B.S. Business Administration - No Specialization
- B.S. General Studies - Business
- A.S. Business
- A.S. General Studies - Business
- A.S. General Studies - Marketing