Real Estate Agent Careers
Real Estate Agent Careers Transcript
Real estate agents are salespeople who help others buy and sell houses. Real estate agents work closely with real estate brokers, appraisers and assessors. Real estate brokers are licensed to negotiate and arrange real estate transactions, manage real estate offices and hire real estate agents. Real estate appraisers and assessors are qualified to estimate the value of real property to determine a sales price or mortgage amount or to assess property taxes.
Buying or selling a home or investment property is a complicated legal transaction involving a large amount of money. Most people seek the help of a real estate agent to guide them through the process.
Real estate agents are salespeople who promote and facilitate the sales of homes and real estate properties. They work under the supervision of real estate brokers, who are the individuals licensed to actually negotiate and arrange the real estate transactions. In all U.S. states, real estate agents must complete classroom instruction and pass a written examination to become licensed.
Job Skills and Duties
Successful real estate agents are typically very enthusiastic and friendly people who present a neat and respectable appearance and have a good memory for faces and names. To build confidence in potential customers agents must be organized, pay attention to buyer and seller needs, and be very eager to meet with potential buyers to show them various properties. Real estate agents usually choose to specialize in residential, commercial, industrial or agricultural properties and become knowledgeable about the real estate laws, zoning and taxes that apply to their field.
Residential real estate agents are experts on their local housing markets and familiar with the different neighborhoods in their community. This knowledge will help them guide customers to houses that are likely to meet their needs and be within their budget. They also help potential home sellers find buyers who are interested in their properties. Agents use computer databases to locate potential properties and to list properties that are for sale.
When both the buyer and seller have signed a contract on a home the agent and broker act as intermediaries between the buyers and the sellers, making sure that all legal and procedural details are in order before the closing date. Agents and brokers also work with real estate appraisers and assessors, individuals who are licensed to make estimates of the value of real property. Appraisals can be used to justify a sales price, determine the amount of mortgage needed, set a liquidation value, or to assess property taxes. In return for selling a house, both the agent for the buyer and the agent for the seller get to keep a small negotiated percentage of the purchase price, called the commission.
Real estate agents and real estate brokers must be licensed to work in each state. Both must attend a classroom training program, usually between 30 and 90 hours of instruction for agents and 60 and 90 hours for brokers, and pass a written examination. Brokers must also have several years of work experience. Many larger real estate offices offer agent training programs, as do community colleges and some universities. Associate's and bachelor's degree in Real Estate are available at some colleges, but are not required for agent or broker licensing.
Training requirements for real estate appraisers vary by state, type of property and amount of loan. Several options for licensing are available. All states require a combination of classroom instruction, written examination and on-the-job training.
Real estate agents, brokers and appraisers play important roles in home and real property transactions. Their knowledge, experience and advice continue to be valuable to both buyers and sellers.
Real Estate Agent Careers Related Articles
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a real estate agent. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
Learn about the preparation needed to become a commercial real estate agent. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
Learn how to become a real estate agent. Research the education requirements, training and licensure information, and experience required...
See our list of the top free online real estate courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the...
A program in real estate trains students in the buying, selling, investing and managing of residential and commercial properties. Find...
- Real Estate Agent Certification
- Real Estate Classes Michigan
- Real Estate School California
- Real Estate Schools Georgia
- Real Estate School in Kansas
- Real Estate School NY
- Real Estate Courses in NJ
- Online Real Estate Courses, Classes and Training Information
- How to Get a Real Estate License
- Online Masters in Real Estate: Program Overviews
- Online Continuing Education Courses in Real Estate
- Online Real Estate Certification, Certificate and Diploma Programs
Learn how to become a dog show judge. Research the career requirements, training information and experience required for starting a career...
Learn the steps to becoming a cashier. Research the minimum education requirements, training and experience you will need to start a career...
Online master's degree programs are available in both clinical informatics and the slightly broader field of health informatics. Learn...
There are 81 schools within a 25-mile radius of Duluth, Georgia. Several are traditional schools that offer programs in a variety of...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Jack Welch Executive Master of Business Administration
- MBA - Management Concentration
- MBA - Acquisition Concentration
- MBA - Marketing Concentration
- M.Ed. - Technology in Education Concentration
- MBA - Professional Studies Concentration
- BBA - Management Concentration
- BBA - Entrepreneurship
- BS in Criminal Justice - Criminal Justice Administration Concentration
- BBA - Finance Concentration
- BBA - Marketing Concentration
- BBA - Accounting
- AA in Business Administration
- AA in Information Technology
- AA in Marketing
- AA in Acquisition and Contract Management
- AA in Information Systems
- AA in Accounting
- Diploma in Acquisition and Contract Management
- Master of Arts in Education
- MS-Criminal Justice
- MBA - Media Management
- Master of Arts in Education: School Leadership in the 21st Century
- BA in Journalism and Mass Communication
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Education Studies
- BA in Business Administration
- BA in Communication Studies
- BA in Liberal Arts
- AA Early Childhood Education
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA Dual Concentration: HR & Project Mgmt.
- MBA Dual Concentration: BS Mgmt. & HR
- MBA Dual Concentration in Business Mgmt & Project Mgmt
- MBA in Technology Management
- MBA Dual Concentration in Accounting & Project Management
- BS in Business Admininstration - Business Management
- BS in Business Administration
- BS in Entrepreneurial Studies
- BS in Information Technology Security Technology
- BS in International Business
- BS in Health Care Management
- AS in Business Administration
- Associate of Science - Business Studies
- AS in Health Information Management
- AS in Healthcare Management
- AS in Information Technology Administration and Management
- Associate of Science - Accounting
- Diploma in Medical Office Administration
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Diploma in Bookkeeping and Payroll Accounting
- Certificate in Networking Systems
- MA in Communication
- Master of Liberal Arts
- MA in Science Writing
- MS in Applied Economics
- MS in Geographic Information Systems
- MS in Bioinformatics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Government Analytics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Applied Research for Communication
- MS in Food Safety Regulation
- Certificate in Science Writing
- Certificate in Science, Technology, and International Security Studies
- Post-Master's Certificate in Sequence Analysis & Genomics
- MA in Forensic Psychology
- MS in Human Resource Management
- MS in Human Services
- BA in Liberal Arts
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Psychology - Criminal Justice Concentration
- BS in Criminal Justice
- BA in Psychology - Organizational Psychology Concentration
- BS in Business Administration - Accounting Concentration
- Master of Arts in Health and Human Services Administration
- Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- Master of Arts in International Development
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Special Education
- Master of Science in Accountancy
- RN to Bachelors of Science in Nursing
- MBA in Management
- MBA in Operations Management
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Master of Science (MSIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- MBA in Project Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Generalist
- Bachelor or Science - Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- BBA in Marketing
- BBA in Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Finance
- Bachelor of Science (BSIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Associate of Arts in Business Administration
- Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Special Education
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Cognition and Instruction
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Gerontology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Human Factors
- MA in Curriculum and Instruction
- MS in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology: General Psychology
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Psychology
- B.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance and Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- BS in Accounting
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in GeroPsychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Forensic Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Health Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Human Factors Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Life Coaching
- Associate's - Computer Information Science
- Associate's - Accounting
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Online Master of Public Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration
- Master of Business Administration - International Business
- Master of Business Administration - Triple Concentration