Real Estate Agent Careers
Real Estate Agent Careers Transcript
Real estate agents are salespeople who help others buy and sell houses. Real estate agents work closely with real estate brokers, appraisers and assessors. Real estate brokers are licensed to negotiate and arrange real estate transactions, manage real estate offices and hire real estate agents. Real estate appraisers and assessors are qualified to estimate the value of real property to determine a sales price or mortgage amount or to assess property taxes.
Buying or selling a home or investment property is a complicated legal transaction involving a large amount of money. Most people seek the help of a real estate agent to guide them through the process.
Real estate agents are salespeople who promote and facilitate the sales of homes and real estate properties. They work under the supervision of real estate brokers, who are the individuals licensed to actually negotiate and arrange the real estate transactions. In all U.S. states, real estate agents must complete classroom instruction and pass a written examination to become licensed.
Job Skills and Duties
Successful real estate agents are typically very enthusiastic and friendly people who present a neat and respectable appearance and have a good memory for faces and names. To build confidence in potential customers agents must be organized, pay attention to buyer and seller needs, and be very eager to meet with potential buyers to show them various properties. Real estate agents usually choose to specialize in residential, commercial, industrial or agricultural properties and become knowledgeable about the real estate laws, zoning and taxes that apply to their field.
Residential real estate agents are experts on their local housing markets and familiar with the different neighborhoods in their community. This knowledge will help them guide customers to houses that are likely to meet their needs and be within their budget. They also help potential home sellers find buyers who are interested in their properties. Agents use computer databases to locate potential properties and to list properties that are for sale.
When both the buyer and seller have signed a contract on a home the agent and broker act as intermediaries between the buyers and the sellers, making sure that all legal and procedural details are in order before the closing date. Agents and brokers also work with real estate appraisers and assessors, individuals who are licensed to make estimates of the value of real property. Appraisals can be used to justify a sales price, determine the amount of mortgage needed, set a liquidation value, or to assess property taxes. In return for selling a house, both the agent for the buyer and the agent for the seller get to keep a small negotiated percentage of the purchase price, called the commission.
Real estate agents and real estate brokers must be licensed to work in each state. Both must attend a classroom training program, usually between 30 and 90 hours of instruction for agents and 60 and 90 hours for brokers, and pass a written examination. Brokers must also have several years of work experience. Many larger real estate offices offer agent training programs, as do community colleges and some universities. Associate's and bachelor's degree in Real Estate are available at some colleges, but are not required for agent or broker licensing.
Training requirements for real estate appraisers vary by state, type of property and amount of loan. Several options for licensing are available. All states require a combination of classroom instruction, written examination and on-the-job training.
Real estate agents, brokers and appraisers play important roles in home and real property transactions. Their knowledge, experience and advice continue to be valuable to both buyers and sellers.
Real Estate Agent Careers Related Articles
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a real estate agent. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
Learn about the preparation needed to become a commercial real estate agent. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details...
Learn how to become a real estate agent. Research the education requirements, training and licensure information, and experience required...
See our list of the top free online real estate courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the...
A program in real estate trains students in the buying, selling, investing and managing of residential and commercial properties. Find...
- Real Estate Agent Certification
- Real Estate Classes Michigan
- Real Estate School California
- Real Estate Schools Georgia
- Real Estate School in Kansas
- Real Estate School NY
- Real Estate Courses in NJ
- Online Real Estate Courses, Classes and Training Information
- How to Get a Real Estate License
- Online Masters in Real Estate: Program Overviews
- Online Continuing Education Courses in Real Estate
- Online Real Estate Certification, Certificate and Diploma Programs
Research online automotive technology programs, learn about the types of courses you'll take, and find out what you'll need in order to...
ISFJ (introverted, sensing, feeling, judging) personality types like stability and consistency. They aren't suited to careers that involve a...
Learn how to become a process server. Research the career requirements, training and licensure information and experience required for...
There are no Doctor of Philosophy programs in sonogram technology. Most ultrasound technicians or diagnostic medical sonographers earn an...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Certificate
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- MA in Education and Human Development in Secondary Special Education and Transition Services
- MA in Education and Human Development in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership
- MA in Education and Human Development in Organizational Leadership and Learning
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Multimedia Development
- Graduate Certificate in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Graduate Certificate in Transition Special Education
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership and Administration
- Graduate Certificate in E-Learning
- Online Master of Public Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration
- Master of Business Administration - International Business
- Master of Education in Teacher Leadership
- Master of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Education in Special Education
- Master of Science in Engineering Technology
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Master of Science in Education in Learning Design and Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Strategic Communication Management
- MS in Teaching & Learning
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Finance
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master - Information Technology Management
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- BS in Communication
- BS in Human Services
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Project Management
- BS in Marketing
- Undergraduate Specialization - Criminal Forensics
- Graduate Certificate - Human Resource Management
- Undergraduate Certificate - Project Management
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Graduate Certificate - Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path, Executive Leader Specialization
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path
- MS in Criminal Justice - Law
- Master of Science in Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Undergraduate in Legal Studies
- BS in Liberal Studies
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Business
- AAS in Legal Support and Services
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Admin-Office Management
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- AAS in Accounting
- Medical Assisting
- Certificate in Human Services
- Medical Office Administration
- Human Services Certificates in Child and Family Services
- Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership Online
- Master of Business Administration Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Entrepreneurship - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Human Resource Management - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership Online
- Associate of Arts
- Master of Arts in Education
- MS-Criminal Justice
- MBA - Media Management
- Master of Arts in Education: School Leadership in the 21st Century
- BA in Journalism and Mass Communication
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Education Studies
- BA in Business Administration
- BA in Communication Studies
- BA in Liberal Arts
- AA Early Childhood Education
- MA in Communication
- Master of Liberal Arts
- MA in Science Writing
- MS in Applied Economics
- MS in Geographic Information Systems
- MS in Bioinformatics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Government Analytics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Applied Research for Communication
- MS in Food Safety Regulation
- Certificate in Science Writing
- Certificate in Science, Technology, and International Security Studies
- Post-Master's Certificate in Sequence Analysis & Genomics
- Master of Business Administration - Management (Spanish)
- Master of Business Administration - International Business (Spanish)
- Master of Business Administration - Information Security Management
- Bachelor of Arts - Business Administration with a concentration in Transportation and Logistics
- BA in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Arts - Psychology
- BA in Business Administration - Management
- BA in Accounting
- BA in Business Administration - International Business
- AS in Information Technology
- AA in Criminal Justice
- AA in Accounting
- AA in Paralegal Studies
- AA in Homeland Security
- AS in Medical Assisting
- Graduate Business Certificate - Health Services Management
- Graduate Business Certificate - Management and Leadership