School Teacher Careers
- Distance Learning Teacher Video: Educational Requirements for Teaching Over the Internet
- Mathematics Professions Video: Career Options in Math and Statistics Field
School Teacher Careers Transcript
Did you have a very special teacher who greatly influenced your life? You could be that special instructor to todays children with an exciting career in education. There are many categories of educators teaching curriculum at different levels, including preschool teachers, elementary education teachers, English as a second language (ESL) teachers, science teachers, physical education teachers, special education teachers and a variety of others.
Teaching professions offer a wide variety of career options for individuals who enjoy spending their time educating children. Educational requirements for teachers vary by state and are different for public and private schools.
Teachers are responsible for helping groups of students learn new information and develop new skills. Traditionally, teachers maintain order within classrooms, develop lesson plans that follow a set curriculum, provide both group and individual instruction, assess progress and evaluate student performance.
Generally, instructors specialize in teaching either adults or children and gain specialized training to teach particular grade levels or subject areas. Teachers may train for specifc levels such as preschool, elementary education, middle school, English as a second language (ESL), reading or special education. At the high school level, teachers specialize in a subject area, such as math, physical education or science.
Teachers in the public school system are required to have at least a bachelor's degree and must meet specific requirements to obtain a license to practice in each state. Private school teachers are not required, by law, to meet state licensing standards.
Job Skills and Duties
Individuals who choose a teaching career need to be patient, caring and have excellent communication skills. Good teachers have been trained to motivate students and are able to differentiate lessons and teaching methods to meet the needs of diverse student populations within each class.
Teachers maintain classroom order, plan lessons to meet curriculum standards, present new information to students, help students work through example problems, assign homework, design quizzes and administer tests. They also grade papers and evaluate each student's progress and performance. Aside from the demands of classroom teaching, teachers may sponsor extracurricular activities, take students on field trips, oversee study halls and dining rooms, refer students for special services and complete many administrative tasks.
All U.S. states require K - 12 public school teachers to have at least a bachelor's degree, to have completed an approved teacher training program with a period of supervised practice teaching and to hold a state license to teach. Teachers in private schools and homeschool teachers are not, generally, required to meet the same requirement as public school teachers. Specialized teachers, such as preschool, special ed, ESL, and reading teachers, must often meet different requirements that vary by state.
If being a teacher is your goal and you look forward to days spent in front of a classroom then check with your local colleges and universities. Most schools have teacher preparation programs that will start you on your way to a career in education.
School Teacher Careers Related Articles
It's Teacher Appreciation Week! Do you want to show your favorite teacher how grateful you are for him or her? Here are some ideas that...
National Teacher Appreciation Day is May 4, but educational organizations are celebrating throughout the week. Read on to discover more...
Graphic arts teachers require a significant amount of formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and licensure requirements...
Everyone is going to butt heads with a teacher at some point. You might be right in the situation, but even so handling things can get...
The National Parent Teacher Association (PTA), with financial backing from the Gates Foundation, is launching a campaign to increase...
- Becoming a School Teacher
- Elementary School Teacher
- How to Become an Elementary School Teacher
- Elementary School Teacher Information
- Elementary School Teacher Requirements
- 10th Grade Teacher School
- High School Teacher
- Explore Children's Literature in the Blogosphere: 10 Top Children's Lit Blogs
- Wisconsin Teacher Protests Spread to Other States
- Teacher Training: Experience May Be More Valuable Than An Advanced Degree
- Principals Could Face Performance Evaluations
- Intellectual Property Laws and Regulations Abroad
Find out how to become an aircraft dispatcher. Research the education and training requirements, and learn about the experience you need to...
Life coaching is a developing field based on helping clients take control of their lives, either personally or professionally, by setting...
There are two schools within about 15 miles of Middleburg Heights, OH, that have medical sonography training options. Read an overview of...
Computer Software Top School with Courses and Degrees in Computer Software Development - Pittsburgh PA
Few schools in the Pittsburgh, PA, area have top ranking computer software development programs. Read on to find out more about what one...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Higher Ed - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Education (for Practicing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Higher Ed - College Teaching and Learning
- MS in Higher Education - Online College Teaching
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
- BS in Early Childhood Administration
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Arts in Education: School Leadership in the 21st Century
- Master of Arts in Education: Special Education
- Master of Arts in Education: Early Childhood Education
- Master of Arts in Education: Curriculum & Instruction
- Master of Arts in Education: Higher Education
- BA in Education Studies
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA in Early Childhood Education
- BA in Instructional Design
- BA in Cognitive Studies
- BA in Health Education
- AA Early Childhood Education
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Special Education
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Behavioral Health
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Higher Education Leadership
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership in - K-12 Leadership
- EdS in K-12 Leadership
- MA in Curriculum and Instruction
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.Ed. in Early Childhood
- M.Ed. in Educational Administration
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- BS in Early Childhood
- BS in Elementary Education / Special Education (Dual Major)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Christian Education
- Bachelor of Arts in English for Secondary Education
- PhD in Education - Curriculum & Teaching
- PhD in Education - Early Childhood Education
- Ed.D. in Curriculum & Teaching
- Ed.D. in Global Training & Development
- PhD in International Education
- Ed.D in General Education
- Master of Education - General Education
- Master of Education - Early Childhood Education
- Master of Education - Curriculum & Teaching
- Master of Education - International Education
- MEd in PK-12 Principal Leadership
- Master of Education - Educational Leadership
- Education Specialist with a specialization in Special Education
- Education Specialist with a specialization in International Education
- Education Specialist in Early Childhood Education
- Education Specialist in Curriculum and Teaching
- Education Specialist with a specialization in Instructional Leadership
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Digital Curation
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education - Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- PhD in Organizational Development and Leadership - Corporate Training and E-Learning Specialization
- Doctor of Psychology - Educational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Educational Leadership
- EdS - Personalized and Competency-Based Instruction
- EdD - Personalized and Competency-Based Instruction
- EdD - Educational Leadership and Mgmt
- EdD - Curriculum and Instruction
- PhD - Special Education Leadership
- PhD - Curriculum and Instruction
- MS - Reading and Literacy
- MS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- MS - Curriculum and Instruction
- MS - Higher Education Leadership and Administration
- MS - Instruction in the 1:1 Environment
- MS - Competency-Based Instruction