Veterinary Professions Career Video: Veterinary Assistant, Veterinary Technician, Veterinarian
Veterinary Professions Career Video: Veterinary Assistant, Veterinary Technician, Veterinarian Transcript
If you love working with animals you might enjoy a job at a veterinary clinic. There are career opportunities for people with all levels of education, including veterinary assistants, veterinary technicians, veterinary technologists, and veterinarians.
Men and women who work in veterinary clinics are dedicated to helping sick and injured animals and to prevent disease in healthy animals. These positions include veterinary assistants, veterinary technicians, veterinary technologists, and veterinarians. Each of these jobs involves different levels of skill and training.
Job Skills and Duties
People who choose to work with animals are generally patient, sympathetic and compassionate. It also helps to be alert, with quick reflexes and good manual dexterity.
Veterinary assistants perform routine daily tasks, such as feeding and watering the animals, cleaning and disinfecting cages and work areas, and keeping the waiting room clean and neat. In some clinics, vet assistants are also trained to take a pet's pulse and temperature, prepare samples for lab tests and sterilize surgical equipment. Besides working in a clinic, veterinary assistants can also find jobs in animal shelters, pet stores, kennels and animal testing labs.
Veterinary technicians and veterinary technologists perform similar duties and both are often referred to as vet techs. States grant different titles, such as licensed vet tech (LVT), registered vet tech (RVT) or certified vet tech (CVT), however, they are all qualified for the same duties. Vet techs take patient histories, collect specimens, draw blood, take x-rays, run lab tests, assist in surgery, educate animal owners and supervise staff. In addition to veterinary clinics, vet techs can find employment in zoos, research institutes, government agencies and veterinary pharmaceutical sales.
A veterinary technician specialist (VTS) has passed a specialty certification exam in a field such as Emergency & Critical Care or Animal Dentistry. They usually work in large or specialty clinics.
Veterinarians are the professionals qualified to diagnose illness and injury, prescribe medications, vaccinate, treat wounds, set fractures and perform surgery. Veterinarians may specialize in large or small animals, exotic animals or a particular species.
Veterinary assistants are not required to have training or be licensed. Some training programs are available through high schools and community colleges but most vet assistants are trained on the job.
Veterinary technicians hold associate's degrees in Veterinary Technology, while veterinary technologists hold bachelor's degrees in Veterinary Technology. Both technicians and technologists must pass state licensing exams. Vet techs with bachelor's degrees usually start at higher salaries.
Veterinarians are required to hold a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree from an accredited four-year college of veterinary medicine and must pass a national board exam, in addition to their state exam, to obtain a license to practice.
For all levels of veterinary care it is important to have a passion for animals and animal health. This can be a very rewarding career no matter what level you obtain. Research and contact local clinics and colleges of your choice to find out if a career in veterinary care is right for you.
Veterinary Professions Career Video: Veterinary Assistant, Veterinary Technician, Veterinarian Related Articles
Students interested in studying veterinary technology in Columbus, Ohio, have only a few schools to choose from. Read about the top local...
Learn about the availability of online veterinary assistant degree programs. Get an overview of the program types, requirements and...
Houston, Texas, has few schools with programs in veterinary technology. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings,...
Get info about online degree programs for veterinary technicians. Read about program requirements, course topics and degree levels, and...
Research online veterinary technician courses and programs. Find out what you can learn in these courses and what you'll need in order to...
- Veterinarian Assistant Career
- Veterinarian Assistant Training
- Veterinarian Assistant Schools
- Veterinary Technician Education
- Veterinarian Technician Bachelors
- Veterinary Technician Programs
- Veterinarian Technician Master
- Veterinary Assistant Certificate Programs
- Veterinarian Assistant: Career Profile
- Animal Doctor: Requirements for Becoming a Veterinarian
- Overview of Pre-Veterinary Classes and Courses
- Top Veterinary Technician School in Stockton, CA
Materials scientists work with materials to improve their composition and function. Materials engineers decide what to use in the production...
For individuals who enjoy working with their hands, and who have an interest in metal, pursuing jobs that involve metal working might be a...
Get info about online programs in computer maintenance. Read about program requirements, course topics and degree levels, and check out...
Alabama has 97 schools that offer undergraduate and/or graduate degree programs. Use these factors to help you when searching for a...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Jack Welch Executive Master of Business Administration
- MBA - Management Concentration
- MBA - Acquisition Concentration
- MBA - Marketing Concentration
- M.Ed. - Technology in Education Concentration
- MBA - Professional Studies Concentration
- BBA - Management Concentration
- BBA - Entrepreneurship
- BS in Criminal Justice - Criminal Justice Administration Concentration
- BBA - Finance Concentration
- BBA - Marketing Concentration
- BBA - Accounting
- AA in Business Administration
- AA in Information Technology
- AA in Marketing
- AA in Acquisition and Contract Management
- AA in Information Systems
- AA in Accounting
- Diploma in Acquisition and Contract Management
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path, Executive Leader Specialization
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path
- MS in Criminal Justice - Law
- Master of Science in Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Undergraduate in Legal Studies
- BS in Liberal Studies
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Business
- AAS in Legal Support and Services
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Admin-Office Management
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- AAS in Accounting
- Medical Assisting
- Certificate in Human Services
- Medical Office Administration
- Human Services Certificates in Child and Family Services
- Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- MA in Education and Human Development in Secondary Special Education and Transition Services
- MA in Education and Human Development in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership
- MA in Education and Human Development in Organizational Leadership and Learning
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Multimedia Development
- Graduate Certificate in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Graduate Certificate in Transition Special Education
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership and Administration
- Graduate Certificate in E-Learning
- Master of Science in Finance
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Real Estate
- Online Master of Public Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration
- Master of Business Administration - International Business
- Master of Education in Teacher Leadership
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA Dual Concentration: HR & Project Mgmt.
- MBA Dual Concentration: BS Mgmt. & HR
- MBA Dual Concentration in Business Mgmt & Project Mgmt
- MBA in Technology Management
- MBA Dual Concentration in Accounting & Project Management
- BS in Business Administration
- BS in Entrepreneurial Studies
- BS in Information Technology Security Technology
- BS in Health Care Management
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Information Technology - Network Management
- AS in Business Administration
- Associate of Science - Business Studies
- AS in Health Information Management
- AS in Healthcare Management
- AS in Information Technology Administration and Management
- Associate of Science - Accounting
- Diploma in Medical Office Administration
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Diploma in Bookkeeping and Payroll Accounting
- Certificate in Networking Systems
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Special Education
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Cognition and Instruction
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Gerontology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Human Factors
- MA in Curriculum and Instruction
- MS in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology: General Psychology
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- BS in Applied Management
- BS in Psychology
- B.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance and Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- BS in Accounting
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in GeroPsychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Forensic Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Health Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Human Factors Psychology
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Life Coaching
- Master of Arts in Education
- MS-Criminal Justice
- MBA - Media Management
- Master of Arts in Education: School Leadership in the 21st Century
- BA in Journalism and Mass Communication
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Education Studies
- BA in Business Administration
- BA in Communication Studies
- BA in Liberal Arts
- AA Early Childhood Education
- MA in Communication
- Master of Liberal Arts
- MA in Science Writing
- MS in Applied Economics
- MS in Geographic Information Systems
- MS in Bioinformatics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Government Analytics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Applied Research for Communication
- MS in Food Safety Regulation
- Certificate in Science Writing
- Certificate in Science, Technology, and International Security Studies
- Post-Master's Certificate in Sequence Analysis & Genomics