Web Design Career Training in Houston, TX with Program Summaries
Research Web design colleges in Houston, Texas, which currently has a couple of schools within 35 miles of its downtown offering programs. Read an overview of degree programs, admission info and program requirements for two schools and decide which program is right for you.
Comparison of Web Design School Options in Houston, TX
There are a couple of community colleges in the Houston area that provide career education and training programs in Web design. Read about these programs below, and use the accompanying table to learn more about the two schools.
- At the North Harris campus of Lone Star College, located a little over 20 miles from downtown Houston, students can earn a certificate in Web design or an associate degree with a specialization in the same area.
- The College of the Mainland in Texas City offers both certificate and associate degree programs in Web design with coursework in multimedia, 3-D animation, digital imaging and graphic design. This school is located 35 miles from downtown Houston.
Lone Star College - North Harris's Web Design Career Training
The Lone Star College System is a 2-year, community college system with six campuses, as well as several satellite and university learning centers.
Web Design Certificate
This certificate program consists of 41 credits and is offered through the school's Department of Visual Communication. Students learn to design effective Web pages by completing courses in digital imaging, computer illustration, digital media, Internet commerce and more.
Associate of Applied Science in Visual Communication: Web Design Track
The visual communication major is offered as an Associate of Applied Science degree with a Web design concentration. Visual communication students take digital imaging, multimedia and design communications courses. Students also choose to complete either a portfolio or participate in cooperative education toward the end of the program.
College of the Mainland's Web Design Career Training
The College of the Mainland is a 2-year community college with a graphic arts division that offers both certificate and associate's degree programs with a focus on Web design.
Web Design Certificate
This 2-semester program, consisting of 8-week class segments, teaches students all aspects of Web design, including image preparation and design, navigation and typography. Coursework in digital imaging, computer graphics, Web design and illustration gives students the visual communication skills needed to create effective, marketable Web pages.
Advanced Web Design Certificate
This program is an extension of the Web design program described above. After completing the coursework in the basic Web design certificate program, students enroll in an additional semester where they learn to work with 2-D animation and video optimization through two 8-week classes. Courses also give students an introduction to Web gaming.
Associate of Applied Science in Graphic Design/Web Design
This 2-year program is for students interested in pursuing a broader education by learning both graphic design and Web design. Although similar to the certificate programs, this program focuses more heavily on animation and graphic design skills and also incorporates general education courses. Students complete a portfolio of their work, as well as an internship.
Comparison of Schools
This table has been designed to provide you with a snapshot of our two featured schools and includes important information about admissions and tuition. Note the big difference in school size.
|Lone Star College - North Harris||College of the Mainland|
|School Type||2-year, public*||2-year, public*|
|Total Enrollment (2011)||63,029*||4,168*|
|Campus Setting||Small suburb||Small suburb|
|Tuition & Fees 2011-2012||$1,408 in-district; $3,088 in-state; $3,488 out-of-state*||$1,185 in-district; $2,025 in-state; $2,985 out-of-state*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2010-2011)||56%*||50%*|
|Acceptance Rate (2011)||N/A - Open admissions||N/A - Open admissions|
|Retention Rate (2010-2011)||69% for full-time students; 91% for part-time students*||50% for full-time students; 43% for part-time students*|
|Graduation Rate (2011)||10%*||7%*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Related to Web Design Schools in Houston
- Recently Updated
Students who are interested in studying Web design in the extended Greenville, SC, area have several schools to choose from....
Columbia, South Carolina, has few schools with programs in web design. Find the best program for you by reading about one...
Charlotte, NC, has few schools with programs related to web design. Find the best program for you by reading about the schools'...
Sacramento, CA, has six schools with programs in Web design. Find the best program for you by reading about one of these...
- Top School in Tallahassee for Web Design Training
- Top Rated Web Design Career Education Programs - Alexandria, VA
- Best Web Design Programs: List of Top Schools
- Job Description of a Video Blogger: Duties and Requirements
- Journalism School: Overview of How to Become a Journalist
- Career Information for a Degree in Journalism
- Sports Medicine - Physical Therapist: Education and Career Overview
- Web Design Major: Information and Requirements
- Top School Offering Courses and Degrees in Web Design - Cheyenne, WY
- Top School in Chesapeake, VA, for a Public Administration Master's Degree
- Band Director: Educational and Training Requirements
- School Administrator: How to Start a Career in School Administration
Perfect School Search
- A - E
- F - N
- O - W
- Nearby States