Welding Classes in Boston, MA with Career Training Information
The Boston area has about four schools that offer welding courses. To make an informed education decision, read an overview of the program options and requirements at three of those institutions located within 30 miles of the city's center.
Boston Welding Schools
Most of the schools in the Boston area that offer welding instruction are either less-than-two-year vocational institutions or four-year technical institutions. Welding classes may be offered in a standalone form or incorporated into an academic program. Explore the coursework and options at three schools around the city, and then compare their stats in the table that follows. Also included is a bit of info on a fourth college option in the area.
- At roughly 30 miles from central Boston, Southeastern Technical Institute (STI) is the furthest of the three highlighted schools from the downtown area, but it has a low student population for those who prefer a smaller educational setting. Basic and advanced welding classes are available at the institution.
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design (Mass Art), situated about four miles from the center of Boston, offers welding instruction within its sculpture bachelor's degree program.
- The Wentworth Institute of Technology (WIT) is the largest of the profiled schools and is located around three miles from downtown Boston. Students there can earn a certificate in welding.
Southeastern Technical Institute (STI)
STI is a vocational training institution whose mission centers on the four primary goals of interpersonal skill development, student engagement, basic skills mastery and Stretch Learning initiatives for at-risk students. The institute provides both day and evening courses in areas ranging from nursing to air conditioning. STI offers two five-week courses in welding through its trade and technical program.
The basic welding course teaches students the fundamentals of welding safety, arc welding and the proper utilization of oxyacetylene torches. Materials are included; students must provide welding gloves.
The advanced welding course is designed to teach both casual and professional welders the fundamentals of metal inert gas (MIG) and tungsten inert gas (TIG) welding. Students are required to perform maintenance operations, assemble welding equipment and undergo an inspection at the end of the course.
Massachusetts College of Art and Design (Mass Art)
Mass Art offers welding courses through its continuing education department and as part of the curriculum in its bachelor's degree program in sculpture. Both routes offer students the opportunity to gain creative insight and vocational skills.
Bachelor of Fine Arts 3D in Sculpture
Welding instruction at Mass Art is comprised of an introductory shop-based course in gas and arc welding, and an advanced metal project, which covers welding in addition to other aspects of metalwork, such as blacksmithing and foundry. Students pursuing welding courses as part of a bachelor's degree curriculum may obtain additional welding experience in a variety of sculpture studio and seminar courses. Bachelor's degree students may also need to take courses in areas such as art history, woodworking, western art and drawing.
Wentworth Institute of Technology (WIT)
WIT's welding program is administered through its profession and continuing education department, which allows students to gain practical and theoretical career training at night and on weekends.
Certificate of Achievement in Welding
WIT's certificate program in welding is designed for individuals working or seeking employment in fields such as automotive repair, construction, general welding and maintenance. The program is comprised of three courses that cover welding basics, gas tungsten and gas metal arc welding and advanced arc welding. Specific topics and skills include welding theory, brazing, fabrication and vertical welding. The program also prepares students to earn certification credentials in welding.
Comparison of Schools
Now that you've had the chance to get details on their welding classes, explore the profiled schools even further using the table below. It has a variety of facts and stats in areas like tuition rates, student enrollment, retention and more.
|Southeastern Technical Institute||Massachusetts College of Art and Design||Wentworth Institute of Technology|
|School Type||< 2-year; public||4-year; public||4-year; private nonprofit|
|Campus Setting||Large suburb||Large city||Large city|
|Tuition & Fees (2011-2012)||$8,450*||$9,700 in-state; $26,400 out-of-state*||$25,025*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2010-2011)||100%*||87%*||97%*|
|Acceptance Rate (Fall 2011)||35%*||63%*||61%*|
|Retention Rate (2010-2011)||87% full-time*||90% full-time*||79% full-time*|
|Graduation Rate||84% (students who entered in 2008-2009)*||68% (students who entered in fall 2005)*||61% (students who entered in fall 2005)*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Other School Options
Welding courses are also available at Blue Hills Regional Technical School, located roughly 19 miles from downtown Boston.
Related to Welding Class Boston
- Recently Updated
Welding fabricators bring blueprints to life by cutting and fusing metals together according to plans. Students have the option...
Welding inspection courses train students on welding techniques so that they can understand and identify the properties and...
A few community colleges, private welding schools and universities offer online welding classes and training programs. This...
Learn how to become a welding instructor. Research education requirements and voluntary certification that can help you start a...
- Schools for Aspiring Certified Welding Inspectors: How to Choose
- Schools for Aspiring Welding Inspectors: How to Choose
- Tig Welding Training Program and School Information
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with The Open University
- Psychiatrist: Educational Requirements for Psychiatrists
- Open Education Is Transforming the Way We Learn: Ray Schroeder Speaks to Study.com
- Best Advocate for Free Education: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Pipe Welding Schools and Colleges: How to Choose
- How to Choose a Precision Welding School
- Increasing College Access, One Posse at a Time: Study.com Speaks With the Posse Foundation
- Desk Editor: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
- Learning Language As a Game: Study.com Talks with the Creators of SNOWBALLS
Perfect School Search
- Massachusetts Cities
- Nearby States
- Amherst, MA Schools
- Boston, MA Schools
- Braintree, MA Schools
- Bridgewater, MA Schools
- Brighton, MA Schools
- Brookline, MA Schools
- Cambridge, MA Schools
- Chelsea, MA Schools
- Chestnut Hill, MA Schools
- Lowell, MA Schools
- Malden, MA Schools
- Norwood, MA Schools
- Somerville, MA Schools
- Springfield, MA Schools
- Watertown, MA Schools
- Woburn, MA Schools