Give the IUPAC name for the following structure:
Systematic Naming of Cyclic Compounds
1) Identify the parent chain, that is, the longest carbon chain, and name the molecule based on it.
2) Number all carbon atoms in the parent chain starting from the end nearest to a group with the highest priority.
3) List all substituent groups in alphabetical order.
4) For substituent alkanes, replace the suffix -ane with -yl.
5) For halogenated compounds, use the prefixes chloro-, bromo-, fluoro-, and iodo-.
6) For alcohols, that is, compounds with a hydroxyl group (-OH group) attached to it, replace the e in the suffix -ane with -ol.
7) For compounds with multiple functional groups, the order of priorities is to be observed in decreasing order: carboxylic acids, nitriles, aldehydes, ketones, alcohols, amines, alkenes, alkynes, halides.
Answer and Explanation:
See full answer below.
Become a member and unlock all Study Answers
Try it risk-free for 30 daysTry it risk-free
Ask a question
Our experts can answer your tough homework and study questions.Ask a question Ask a question
Learn more about this topic:
from AP Chemistry: Help and ReviewChapter 15 / Lesson 6