- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 162
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
Course SummaryIt's easy to teach your students all the English topics they need to know by using this 10th Grade English textbook course. Our short video lessons and quizzes lay out all the topics you'd find in a traditional textbook but in a mobile-friendly format at a fraction of the cost.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches 10th grade English can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most English textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like literature and writing are perfect for briefly introducing an English topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional English textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of literary forms and genres, grammar and punctuation.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online English textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our English textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring African American, ancient and British literature to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like literary criticism easy to understand.
- Skill-Building Courses: In addition to in-depth instruction, courses include practice lessons, quizzes, practical learning exercises and how-to guides to help students develop higher-order thinking skills.
- Help Students Keep Up: Teachers can assign lessons directly from the course to students who need further help with specific English topics or who missed class.
- Simple and Versatile: Teachers and students can access this English and any Study.com course from any computer or mobile device.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online English course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in English class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your instructor via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings English lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb drama, prose, writing conventions and writing processes.
- Identify the English topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging English video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like close reading and text analysis.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any English topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our English course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about literary periods and writing errors.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in English, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this English course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand an English concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Big picture and close reading
- Reading and writing for personal enjoyment and growth
- Literary periods and types
- Life and works of William Shakespeare
- African American authors and titles
- British authors and major works
- Famous American authors and titles
- Ancient Greek and other literary texts
- Literary critics and movements
- Writing approaches and conventions
- Dramatic elements and plays
- Correct use of source materials
- Grammatical elements and rules
- Rules of punctuation
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Do I Need a Bachelor's Degree to Teach English Abroad?
- Do You Need a Bachelor's Degree to Teach English Abroad?
- Where to Find Free and Low-Cost Textbooks
- How to Teach English As a Second Language
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Promoting Low Cost Textbooks for Community College Students
- English Course Catalog
- Essay Topics for Teachers
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- Corrections Administration Education and Career Information
- Middle School Math Teacher Requirements Duties and Salary Info
- Alternative Teaching Certificate Texas
- Master Plumber Education Requirements and Career Overview
- Museum Technician Career Information and Requirements for Becoming a Museum Technician
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses