- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 95
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Strategies for Reading with Purpose & Understanding: Lesson for Kids
Course SummaryThis 3rd grade English course can help both teachers and parents introduce their students to the beauty and power of the English language. These lessons provide a comprehensive course in reading, spelling and grammar, literature and writing that can be used to help students with their homework or review concepts they missed in class.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This comprehensive English course makes it easy and fun for your 3rd grade students to enhance and polish their reading and writing skills. Short, yet interesting and informative video and text lessons engage and hold your students' interest, and our instructors are easily accessible for questions or additional help. A brief quiz follows each lesson, and a test at the end of each chapter allows parents and teachers to measure their students' mastery and retention of the material.
How It Works
- Teachers can assign specific lessons according to each student's specific needs or skill level.
- A variety of short stories and poems offers students a grade-level appropriate introduction to literary works.
- Video timelines allow students to skip from segment to segments in video lessons.
- Each lesson follows the last in a user-friendly, logical, sequential progression.
- Lesson quizzes and chapter exams enable teachers and parents to ensure that students' reading comprehension, spelling, grammar and writing skills are on track.
Using the Course
The lessons in these chapters are designed to make learning English easy, and exciting. Reading becomes an adventure rather than a chore as students learn how to get the most out of any literary work. Words, grammar and punctuation rules become old friends, making self-expression easy and writing fun. Readily customizable to your students' needs and easily accessible online, this study guide is available to you 24/7.
This course can help parents and teachers to teach their students how to:
- Acquire new strategies to enhance their reading and comprehension skills
- Learn to see reading as an enjoyable, exciting way to learn and grow
- Master spelling, grammar and punctuation skills
- Polish their existing writing skills and master new ones
- Recognize and enjoy a wide variety of short stories and poems
- Strategies for reading comprehension and summarization
- Literary terms
- Reading informational and literary texts
- Short stories and poems
- Words and phrases, vocabulary and langauge
- Glossaries and dictionaries
- Spelling rules, grammar and punctuation
- The writing process
- Discussion participation
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online English Literature Courses and Classes
- English Literature Courses and Classes Overview
- English Language Class and Course Descriptions
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Online English Writing Course and Class Overviews
- Motivating Your Students to Read Literature As a New English Teacher
- Beauty Courses and Classes Overview
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- Graduate English Courses and Classes Overview
- Medical Courses and Classes for Undergraduate Students
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses