- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 133
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Strategies for Reading with Purpose & Understanding: Lesson for Kids
Course SummarySupport your 5th grade students' learning of literary, writing and grammar topics using these short and engaging video lessons. This course is designed to help students develop a better understanding of literary terms, reading comprehension techniques and more to help them in class and with their homework.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Both parents and teachers can find this course useful for their 5th grade students who might need a learning supplement for basic English concepts. Brief lessons present material about such topics as literary, reading, writing, speech and sentence structure in simple and straightforward terms, making it easy for 5th graders to understand. Students can use reading practice lessons to apply concepts discussed in the course. Review what your students have retained and identify any subjects in which they might need further study using self-assessment quizzes in each lesson.
How It Works
- Depending on which areas students need most study in, they can choose to review the entire course or choose individual lessons focusing on subjects in which they might be struggling.
- Both video and text lessons are self-paced, and you can view them as often as needed as they are accessible at all times, on any Internet-accessible device.
- Print lesson transcripts to highlight examples and term definitions that would be most useful to your students.
- Short quizzes in each lesson measure your students' knowledge of each topic and determine if they need further review in any part of this course.
- Lessons are presented sequentially, making it easy to progress through the entire course.
Using the Course
With easy accessibility and self-paced learning, this online course makes it easy for both parents and teachers to utilize these lessons for their students. Using this course is like having an online tutor who can help students understand any English concept. Our stand-alone program makes it simple to log onto one website and complete all work without having to go to other sites.
This course can be most helpful in the following situations:
- To help with homework assignments or prepare for class discussions
- To study for English tests or quizzes
- To supplement existing lesson plans
- To facilitate classroom discussions
- Word context and recognition
- Reading strategies to enhance comprehension
- Defining literary terms and devices, such as simile, metaphor, and idiom
- Aspects of literary analysis, such as theme and point-of-view
- Identifying elements of informational texts
- Structure of poetry and drama
- Capitalization and punctuation rules
- Parts of speech, such as nouns, pronouns, and adverbs
- Prefixes, suffixes, synonyms, antonyms, and analogies
- Types of sentences and sentence structures
- Types of nonfiction and fiction writing
- Speaking and listening skills development
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Reading Comic Books May Help Students Do Better in School
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- How Active Listening Helps You Communicate Better with Students
- 5 Lessons to Help Your Students Understand the Elections
- Student Volunteers Help Give the Gift of Reading
- 3 Ways Technology Can Help You Support Gifted Students
- Technology Dependency Gives Teachers Better Options for Engaging Students
- Vocational Classes Help Students Perform in Academic Subjects
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses