- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 110
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The World Map Lesson for Kids: Continents & Features
Course SummaryStudents in 5th grade social studies can use the learning and study tools in this online course to prepare for tests and assignments in school. Strengthening and assessing students' social studies knowledge has never been easier thanks to this course's fun lessons, quizzes and practice exams.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This comprehensive overview of 5th grade social studies is designed to enhance students' understanding of various geography and history concepts. This entertaining course is divided into chapters that feature fun lessons students can view wherever they can access the Internet. Lessons examine topics that include the Civil War, European exploration and U.S. geography. Other features available in this course include multiple-choice lesson quizzes, practice chapter exams and a comprehensive course exam.
How It Works
- Students can navigate the lessons in any order and visit them as often as needed to effectively strengthen their social studies knowledge.
- Multiple-choice quizzes enable students to quickly and easily test their understanding of the social studies concepts covered in the lessons.
- Chapter exams and a final exam offer a broader review of this course's social studies concepts.
- The Dashboard allows students to gauge their progress through this course and also send lesson topic questions to our experts.
- All resources in this chapter are available in a secure online environment and can be accessed using any computer, smartphone or tablet.
Using the Course
This course is completely flexible, enabling students to choose any number of lessons to review based on their existing knowledge of the 5th grade social studies concepts covered in the lessons. Students can determine how much they already understand about specific lesson topics by testing their comprehension using the lesson quizzes. Tailor the use of the lessons, quizzes and exams to students' specific study needs to ensure they get the best learning experience possible.
This course can be beneficial to parents and teachers in a variety of ways:
- To tutor students who have fallen behind in their studies
- To quiz students as they prepare for an upcoming social studies exam
- To give students a well-rounded understanding of social studies as they aim to boost their grades
- To supplement 5th grade social studies textbooks
- Geography around the globe
- Exploration of Europe
- Western U.S. exploration
- Mexican-American War and the War of 1812
- Era prior to the Civil War
- Civil War, its battles and key figures
- Reconstruction and westward expansion after the Civil War
- U.S. geography and major rivers
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Connected Colleges: New Study Suggests Using Social Networking Tools to Engage Students
- Social Studies Lesson Plans
- GED Social Studies Test Information
- How to Become a Social Studies Teacher in Connecticut
- Jobs that Involve Social Studies
- Social Studies in Early Education
- Top Strategies for Studying for Final Exams: Straight From Students
- Why Even Smart Students Still Need to Study for an Open-Book Exam
- Online Courses in International Studies with School Info
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- Social Media in the College Classroom Professor David McDonalds Innovative Use of Text Messaging
- Top Computer Engineering and Computer Electronics Degrees - Mesa AZ
- Best School for a Public Administration Degree - San Diego CA
- Real Estate Courses in NJ
- Top Ranked School for Learning Multimedia - San Jose CA
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses