- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 109
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1General English Spelling Rules
Course SummaryAccess this 6th grade language arts course at any time to study important vocabulary, grammar and literature topics. The course can help students improve their language arts skills, and it can also help teachers supplement their English lessons.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
If you're looking for a convenient online resource for 6th grade language arts topics, check out this self-paced online course. Created by expert English instructors, this course defines and simplifies language arts concepts that are typically taught at the 6th grade level, such as the parts of speech, punctuation rules, literary characteristics, spelling conventions and much more. The course comes with plenty of supplemental studying materials, including lesson transcripts, self-assessment quizzes and interactive chapter exams. Our instructors are available to answer your questions, and you can access the course material on any Internet-connected device.
This course can serve a variety of learners and educators.
- 6th grade students can use this course to catch up in class, supplement their textbooks, study for upcoming exams and improve their reading and writing skills.
- 6th grade English teachers can easily incorporate the course's lessons, quizzes and supplemental materials into their language arts curriculum.
- Parents who are looking for a convenient and effective language arts tutoring solution can work through this course with their 6th graders.
- Casual learners who want to refresh their basic reading comprehension and writing skills can access this course at any time that's convenient.
- English conventions and spelling rules
- Parts of speech and word usage
- The basics of pronoun usage and agreement
- Prepositions, conjunctions and interjections
- Sentence structure and punctuation
- The writing process and writing types
- Vocabulary, speaking, listening and study skills
- Reading strategies and comprehension
- The characteristics of literature, literary elements and literary devices
- Reading practice for the novels James and the Giant Peach and Matilda
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Undergraduate Courses in English Language Arts
- How Materials for the Arts Helps Teachers
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- English Language Class and Course Descriptions
- Jobs that Involve Language Arts
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Language Arts Teacher: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- List of Free Language Therapy Courses for Teachers
- How Study.com Helps You Improve Your Grades
- Online Master of English Language Arts Degrees with School Options
- Construction Document Management Training and Course Information
- Semiconductor Engineering Training and Education Program Info
- Masters Degree in Engineering Program Overviews by Specialization
- Distance Learning Hospitality Management Graduate Degree Program
- Associate in Applied Science AAS Computer Web Development Degree Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses