- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 218
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Scientific Ways of Thinking
Course SummaryThis 7th Grade Life Science enrichment course helps students start learning life science before taking the course in high school. The short video lessons make accelerated learning simple and fun. Plus, quizzes and chapter exams let parents track their students' progress of advanced life science concepts.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Students who want to take advanced life science topics will find this enrichment course provides a simple and effective way to ease into more challenging subject matter. You'll find this course useful if you:
- Find current introductory biology topics aren't challenging enough
- Are interested in exploring and mastering life science topics now
- Want to get a jump start and prepare for next year's life science class
- Prefer self-paced learning in multiple formats (visual or auditory)
- Would like a low-pressure alternative to formal or traditional classes
You'll be able to benefit from this enrichment course in several ways:
- It's helpful: Short lesson series make the material engaging and easier to absorb.
- It's convenient: Study when you want, where you want from any computer or mobile device.
- It's flexible: Whether you learn better by reading, hearing or watching a video, we've got you covered.
- It's authoritative: Our life science instructors are experts who make topics understandable and fun!
Using the Course
We've designed this course so that it's easy to navigate for students who want to learn new life science concepts. Check out the two most popular options to decide which best fits your needs:
- Start at the beginning with the scientific method, and advance through the chapters and lessons in order until you reach the last lesson on key events in the geologic timescale. Lessons follow a natural progression, making this option simple to follow along.
- Identify life science topics you find most interesting, and skip the material you already know. If you only want to study plant growth and reproduction, you can go straight to that chapter. Though some lessons might refer to topics in previous lessons, each one is designed to stand alone to make sure you get all of the info you need to understand a topic.
Simply follow these steps, and you'll be on your way to mastering life science!
- Start at the beginning or find the chapter subjects or lesson topics you want to learn about.
- Open a lesson and play the video.
- Test your understanding of the material using the short lesson quizzes and chapter exams.
- Ask our expert instructors questions if you need extra help learning a life science concept.
- Go to the next lesson in the chapter to continue learning.
- See your course progress on the life science enrichment course page.
What You Can Learn
You can advance your life science knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- The definition of life science and the fields it includes
- Defining characteristics of living things, and the chemicals essential for life
- Parts of a cell and their functions
- The role of enzymes in DNA replication
- Types of cell division and reproduction and their processes
- Energy requirements of living systems and how they're met
- Classification and evolution of organisms
- Theories of how life on Earth began
- Passing on hereditary traits through genetics
- Definition of genetic engineering
- Evolution, natural selection, and adaptation
- Microbiology, antibiotics, and vaccines
- Ecosystems and the environment
- Interaction among organisms in an ecosystem
- Types of biomes and ecological succession
- Biological diversity and endangered species
- Classifying invertebrates
- Features and characteristics of vertebrates
- Types of birds and mammals and their common characteristics
- Types of animal communication
- Reproduction and development in mammals
- Common conditions and diseases of the respiratory system
- Functions of the cardiovascular system
- Major blood vessels and their functions
- Anatomy and physiology of the digestive system
- Anatomy and physiology of the urinary and endocrine systems
- The parts of the brain and nervous system and how they work
- Muscle types and functions
- Structure and function of the skeletal system and connective tissue
- The five senses and how they operate
- Common health concerns, such as anorexia, heart disease, viruses, and exercise
- Reproduction and growth in plants
- Environmental issues, such as pollution, global warming, and groundwater contamination
- Finite and renewable energy sources
- Theoretical origins and timelines of the universe and planet Earth
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Life Sciences Schools in Oklahoma with Course and Program Info
- Distance Learning Life Sciences Degree Program Overviews
- Online Life Science Courses, Classes and Training Programs
- Biology & Life Science Careers
- What Are Some Career Options in Life Science?
- Distance Learning Environmental Science Degrees with Course Info
- Equine Science Courses by Distance Learning with Coursework Info
- List of Free Online Political Science Courses and Learning Materials
- Life Sciences Degrees in Connecticut with School Overviews
- Life Sciences Degrees in Minnesota with School Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses