- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 187
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Prose? - Finding Meaning in Foreshadowing & Character
Course SummaryEngage your students as you teach them 9th grade English with this flexible and interactive textbook replacement course. As a cost-effective alternative to traditional textbooks, this mobile-friendly course gives your students a comprehensive resource they can use at any time with just a mobile device.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches 9th grade English can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most English textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like literary genres and essay writing are perfect for briefly introducing an English topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional English textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of ancient literature, literary genres, the use of source materials and writing conventions.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online English textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our English textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring American, British and contemporary fiction to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like the writing process easy to understand.
- Skill-Building Courses: In addition to in-depth instruction, courses include practice lessons, quizzes, practical learning exercises and how-to guides to help students develop higher-order thinking skills.
- Simple and Versatile: Teachers and students can access this English and any Study.com course from any computer or mobile device.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online English course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in English class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your teacher via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings English lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb English literature concepts, literary analysis, terms and theory.
- Identify the English topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging English video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like literary terms and grammar.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any English topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our English course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about drama, novels and short stories.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in English, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this English course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand an English concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Ancient Greek and Sumerian literature
- American novelists and short story writers
- Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and other major British authors
- Night, The Joy Luck Club, The Kite Runner and other contemporary titles
- Dramatic comedy, farce and tragedy
- Dickinson, Shakespeare, Longfellow and other major poets
- Commonly used literary terms
- Close reading and text analysis techniques
- Essay types and writing processes
- Capitalization, grammar, punctuation and usage
- Source materials and citations
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Promoting Low Cost Textbooks for Community College Students
- 20 Must-Have Mobile Apps for New College Students
- Essential Mobile Apps for Online College Students
- Car-Sharing Helps College Students Get Mobile
- Can Open Education Save Students From Expensive Textbooks?
- Build-Your-Own Textbooks Could Save Students Hundreds
- Matching Students to the Right Course
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Skip the Campus Bookstore: New Sources for Student Textbooks
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses