- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 248
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Basics of an Initial Patient Assessment
Course SummaryFrom types of disorders and conditions to diagnostic and treatment procedures, this study guide reviews various topics relevant to critical care nursing. This course covers all of the topics found on the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) CCRN (Adult) certification exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
In this course, you will gain the benefit of expert instruction on topics that include the symptoms, causes and treatment of various critical conditions as well as critical nursing procedures and tools. You will have the opportunity to develop a better understanding of nursing diagnostic and management processes focusing on patient assessment, pain management, emergency care and more. Once you have completely reviewed this chapter, you should have developed a better understanding of:
- Patient assessment and diagnostic techniques and procedures
- Medication management and administration
- Nursing emergency and pre- and post-operative care
- Behavioral and psychological nursing practices
- Surgical sedation methods
- Critical care nurse ethics, competency and roles
- Aspects of and clinical care for various disorders and conditions, including:
- Acute coronary syndromes
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Heart diseases, defects and disorders
- Respiratory conditions
- Thoracic injury/trauma
- Endocrine, hematology and immunology disorders
- Gastrointestinal and renal disorders
- Neurological and musculoskeletal conditions
- Traumatic brain injuries, shock and sepsis
About the Exam
The AACN CCRN (Adult) certification is a voluntary professional certification exam used by RNs and emergency care nurses to show current and potential employers their knowledge and competency in this subspecialty. The exam, administered either by computer or paper, consists of 150 multiple-choice questions in two sections: Clinical Judgment; and Professional Caring and Ethical Practice. The first section accounts for 80% of the exam and the second section is equal to 20%. Candidates are given three hours to complete this exam. A passing score of 89 must be attained to achieve this certification.
AACN CCRN (Adult) Exam Preparation & Registration
You will find this course a valuable tool in preparing for the AACN CCRN exam. Lessons in this guide provide in-depth explanations about diagnostic testing and results analysis; drug therapy management; strategies for responding to medical emergencies; sedation types and guidelines; and professional ethics in critical care nursing. Clinical symptoms, causes and treatment options for various types of conditions and disorders that affect the heart, lungs, digestive system, kidneys, blood, nerves and brain as well as infections, injuries and psychological disorders are also discussed in detail. Video and text lessons are easily accessed 24/7 from any device, so you can create a convenient study schedule that adapts to your current schedule. Use lesson quizzes and chapter exams to measure what you know and have learned and to establish your preparedness for this professional nursing certification exam.
Once eligibility requirements, including current RN or APRN licensure and completion of a specified amount of clinical practice hours, have been met, candidates for CCRN exam can register either online (for the computer-based format) or via mail (for paper-based exams). Payment of fees must be made by credit card through the online application or by credit card information, check or money order via mail at the time of registration. Upon receipt of an e-mailed or postcard confirmation of your approval to test, you can then schedule your exam with PSI/AMP, which administers the test, through their website.
CCRN is a registered trademark of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Do I Get My Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) Certification?
- How Long Does IT Take to Get Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) Certification?
- How Do I Get Critical Care Certification?
- How Do You Get a Critical Care Registered Nurse Certification?
- What Does a Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Do?
- What Is a Critical Care Registered Nurse?
- How Do You Become a Critical Care Registered Nurse?
- Critical Care Nursing Courses and Classes Information
- Be a Critical Care Unit Nurse: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Critical Care Courses and Classes Overview
- Top Degree Programs in Multimedia and Graphic Design - Bakersfield CA
- Distance Learning Operations Management Bachelors Degree Program
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida Education and City Information
- Graphic Design Training Top Ranked Degree Program for Becoming a Graphic Designer - Indianapolis IN
- Restaurant Management Degree Top Ranked School for Culinary Management - Houston TX
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 83,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses