- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 16
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Fundamental Principles of Accounting
Course SummaryThis course prepares your employees to use basic accounting principles and practices in their day-to-day activities. These video lessons describe common accounting functions and concepts, such as how to create and interpret financial statements, and explain why they are important.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course shows your employees about the basic functions, principles and concepts of accounting, including definitions of common terms, ways to record transactions and how to prepare financial statements. It is divided into chapters, each containing several video lessons that last five to ten minutes.
How It Works
Lessons can be viewed on computers, smartphones or tablets as schedules allow. Employees can watch alone or as part of a group training session, which is especially beneficial because it promotes discussion among colleagues.
Useful features include:
- Helpful lessons packed with real world examples
- A clickable timeline that makes it simple to return to the lesson to review key topics
- Assessment of learning through lesson quizzes and chapter exams
- A comprehensive final exam that verifies what was covered
How It Helps
- Increases accounting knowledge: These lessons get everyone, even non-accounting employees, on board by explaining the terminology and basic principles and processes of accounting. Employees who understand the fundamentals will be better able to communicate and collaborate.
- Improves record-keeping: Ensuring that all your employees understand why accurate financial documents are vital and what is required to create them may mean they will be more careful with their work.
- Promotes teamwork: Watching these videos and taking the quizzes that accompany them give your employees a chance to share experiences and ideas.
|Chapter||Topics & Objectives|
|Basic Accounting Concepts||Explore the seven major accounting principles, methods of recording transactions and the accounting equation.|
|Accounts, Debts & Credits||Define accounts and how to classify them, and gain an understanding of debits and credits.|
|Understanding Financial Statements||Discover the purpose of source documents, learn how to create an adjusted trial balance and basic financial statements, and find out what financial statement ratios mean.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Financial Accounting Courses and Classes Overview
- Financial Accounting Degree Programs in Minnesota with Course Info
- List of Free Financial Accounting Courses and Training Resources
- Financial Accounting Certification Programs
- Schools for Financial Accounting: How to Choose
- 4 Pi Day Activities You Should Use in Your Class
- Kids at Home for Memorial Day? Here Are Some Great Educational Activities for Them
- Accountant Career Video for Accounting Students
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- Financial Accounting
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses