- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 60
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Are Nouns? - Definition, Types & Examples
Course SummaryBe sure you're ready to take the Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test by reviewing basic grammar in this helpful study guide course. All the topics you'll find on the exam are covered in our short, engaging lessons so you'll be prepared to perform well on test day.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course is broken down into multiple lessons on topics you may encounter on the Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test. Each lesson includes a video taught by a knowledgeable instructor who presents key language concepts through fun graphics and examples. You can use the videos to brush up on your knowledge of parts of a sentence, subject-verb agreement and independent clauses. There are also self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson and an end-of-chapter test.
Check out our Accuplacer test prep materials! We've got Accuplacer courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Accuplacer study guides to help you study, Accuplacer practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Accuplacer resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Our test prep course is designed to help you prepare for all of the subjects you'll find on the exam. These include different types of nouns and verbs, sentence structure and pronouns and antecedents. After completing this course, you should be ready to:
- Outline the different types of nouns
- Detail subject-verb agreement
- Use adverbs and adjectives
- Differentiate between the types of verbs
- Discuss conjunctions and clauses
- Identify the different types of sentences
- Understand sentence structure
This engaging course is made up of 9 chapters and 60 bite-sized lessons that cover all of the subjects you'll need to know to do well on the exam. Test yourself along the way or before exam day using the lesson quizzes and chapter tests.
Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test Exam Information
Developed by The College Board, the Accuplacer tests are typically used by colleges to determine your skill levels and place you in appropriate college-level courses. The Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test measures your skills in five main content areas.
- Number of Questions: As few as 12 to as many as 40
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: Untimed
Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test Registration and Preparation
The Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test is administered by individual colleges, and each school sets their own registration requirements. Some schools prefer that you register in advance, while others may allow you to just show up during open testing hours. You will be required to show a photo ID before taking the test.
This prep course covers all of the topics covered on this language use test for non-native English speakers. The videos break down key concepts into easy-to-understand lessons that you can view at your own pace and watch as many times as you need. Each video has a follow-up quiz that connects to key points in the video lesson. You'll also have access to a full lesson transcript and an end-of-chapter exam that is similar in content and format to the actual test.
Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test Scoring and Score Reports
The Accuplacer ESL Language Use Test is not a pass-or-fail test. The results of the test are only used to determine if the test taker needs additional English language courses in college. The test results are available immediately after completing the test, however, it typically takes longer for the school to determine your placement level.
The ESL Language Use test is a computer-based test made up of 20 multiple-choice questions. The questions are in two formats: they may either ask you to complete a sentence by choosing the best word or phrase to fill in a blank, or they may ask you to choose a sentence that best combines two provided sentences. The lessons in this course are designed to help you prepare for this test by reviewing key grammar usage concepts, such as the proper use of verbs, conjunctions, pronouns and antecedents.
Accuplacer is a registered trademark of The College Board, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- More Than Half of SAT Test-Takers Not Ready for College
- Take Heed of These Warning Signs That You're Ready to Leave Teaching
- How To Tell If You're Ready for College
- The 6 Types of Students You'll Have in Your First Class
- How to Study for AP Tests
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Dealing with Difficult Classroom Situations You'll See Often
- Worth the Money: 5 Dorm Accessories You'll Wish You Had
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- GED FAQs: What Should I Expect On Test Day?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses