- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 41
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Four Stages of the Listening Process
Course SummaryIf you're looking for a comprehensive study guide to prepare for the Accuplacer ESL Listening test, check out this informative course. All the topics you'll find on the exam are presented in our easy-to-follow video and text lessons.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course reviews all of the topics you need to know to prepare for the Accuplacer ESL Listening test. Our comprehensive study guide gives you a straightforward and effective way to study key concepts you will need to know for the exam, including the basics of listening and how to listen for implied meaning. If you have any questions as you complete this course, reach out to one of our experts through the Dashboard for assistance.
Check out our Accuplacer test prep materials! We've got Accuplacer courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Accuplacer study guides to help you study, Accuplacer practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Accuplacer resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
When you work through this study guide course, you'll find self-paced and bite-sized lessons that outline all the topics found on the exam. These including listening for literal comprehension and implied meaning, among others. You should be ready to do the following once you finish this course:
- Outline ESL listening basics
- Explain ESL listening for literal comprehension
- Identify ESL strategies for implying meaning through listening
- Interpret passages that are read aloud
We've put together 4 chapters made up of 37 lessons to help build your confidence for the exam. To be sure you're ready, answer the multiple-choice questions you'll find on the lesson quizzes and chapter tests.
Accuplacer ESL Listening Test Exam Information
The Accuplacer English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) assessment is a computer-based test (CBT) that measures your ability to listen and comprehend one, or more than one, person speaking in English. Your performance is used to determine the appropriate course placement at your college or university. The conversations that make up the test questions occur in a variety of different locations, including lecture halls, grocery stores and libraries. The test is available at many colleges, and its availability varies from one college to another.
- Number of Questions: Minimum of 12 to maximum of 40
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: Untimed
Accuplacer ESL Listening Test Preparation & Registration
By working with this study guide, you can familiarize yourself with the materials on the Accuplacer ESL Listening Test. Use our short video lessons to practice your comprehension of spoken English in a variety of settings. In the lessons, you will learn about the listening process and note-taking skills as well as the process of understanding instructions and determining a writer's tone and point of view. You'll also sharpen your summarization skills and your ability to hear intonation cues. Accented English and differences between oral and written language are also covered. After each lesson, check your comprehension by taking our short quizzes.
You can register for the Accuplacer ESL Listening Test by visiting or contacting your college advising/counseling office. If you are not close to your college campus, contact the advising/ counseling office to determine your options. It may be possible to take your exam at another college, or have an authorized proctor oversee your test at a secure facility. When you go to take your test, be sure to bring a current, government-issued photo ID.
Accuplacer ESL Listening Test Scoring
There is no passing or failing grade on the Accuplacer ESL Listening Test. However, it is important that you do your best so that your test results can be used to determine the best course placement possible for your needs and skill level. Your score report will be available immediately upon completion of the test. Along with your scores, there may be information from your institution about course placement based on institutional placement scores.
Accuplacer ESL Listening Test is a registered trademark of The College Board, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- CNA Certification Test: A Detailed Look at the CNA Exam
- What to Do if You're Behind Studying for Finals
- CNA Courses with Comprehensive Course Descriptions
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- Flashcards - Writing Informative & Expository Texts
- Nursing Student Uses Free Course to Test Out of Prerequisites
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses