Course SummaryThe Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessments (AEPA) Music exam has been replaced by the National Evaluation Series (NES) Music exam. This comprehensive, convenient and fun course is designed to get you fully prepared for this particular music teacher certification test.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
About This Course
In this course, you'll review a collection of short and engaging lessons that explore all of the topics that appear on the National Evaluation Series (NES) Music exam. Our expert instructors help you learn essential information about music fundamentals, musical instruments, music history and a variety of musical genres. Topics you'll study include:
- The elements of music notation and melody
- Meter and rhythm
- Musical forms and instruments
- Ensembles for instruments and voice
- Orchestral and operatic music
- Music of the medieval era and the Renaissance
- Baroque, Classical and Romantic music
- Jazz, popular and modern-era music
- Musical theater
About the Exam
The NES Music exam is used for teacher certification purposes in Arizona. There are four sections on the exam, which are Aural Analysis Skills (23%), Music Theory & Composition (23%), Music History & Culture (23%) and Music Methodology & Performance (31%). Test-takers have three hours to complete the exam's 150 multiple-choice questions. The exam is computer-based, and testing centers are located in Arizona and throughout the U.S.
NES Music Exam Preparation and Registration
You can work through this course at your own pace either a computer or a mobile device. As you progress through the course, you'll review video lessons that define essential musical terms and explain musical concepts in a comprehensible manner. Take the accompanying self-assessments to reinforce your understanding of the material. You can print lesson transcripts to study offline, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have. The course also includes a final exam to help you make sure you're ready to take the NES Music test.
To register for the exam, simply complete the online registration process on the NES's official website. You'll select your desired test date and locate a nearby testing center. After that, you'll need to pay the exam fee and agree to all NES testing rules/policies. You'll be able to see your test scores immediately after taking the exam, and you can expect to receive an official score report a few weeks after your test date.
National Evaluation Series (NES) Program is a registered trademark of Pearson Education Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Distance Learning Courses and Certificates in Music
- Music Teacher Degree and Certification Program Information
- Should I Major in Music? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Careers in Music
- What Can You Do With A Master's IN Music?
- National EKG Certification Exam Information for Students
- Which Skills Do Teacher Certification Exams Emphasize?
- Music Teacher: Employment & Career Info
- Music Certificate and Diploma Program Information
- Music Director Schools and Courses: How to Choose
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses