- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 98
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Using Reference Materials for Vocabulary
This course can be found in: ASVAB Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 5 ASVAB study guides, and 700+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis course is designed to prepare you for the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT). Work through these simple lessons and quizzes at any time to review all of the concepts you need to know for this military entrance exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Take this online test preparation course if you're planning on taking the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT), which is part of the Armed Services Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). These expertly taught lessons and self-assessments help you quickly review the exam's math/reading concepts and practice answering the types of questions you'll find on the test. Topics you'll study include:
- Words in context
- Reading comprehension and analysis
- Numerical representations
- Mathematical operations
- Word problems
- Exponents, roots and factors
- Mixed numbers and fractions
- Algebraic expressions
About the Exam
The ASVAB is a 10-part military entrance exam. Four of the ASVAB's sections (Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning and Mathematics Knowledge) make up a candidate's AFQT score. These scores are used for enlistment eligibility purposes by military branches such as the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force. AFTQ scores are measured as percentiles and divided into 8 categories. Current military professionals may decide to take the ASVAB for training and job reclassification purposes, and high school and post-secondary students may take the exam during ASVAB Career Exploration Programs.
The exams are offered in computer-administered and paper-and-pencil versions. The amount of questions and time limits differ between these two formats. For example, the Word Knowledge section on the computer-administered format has 16 questions that must be answered in 8 minutes, while the Word Knowledge section on the paper-and-pencil version has 35 questions that must be answered in 11 minutes.
AFQT Preparation & Registration
This course helps you study for the ASVAB as your schedule allows. You can use any computer or mobile device to access the course material. Inside the course, you'll find bite-sized and engaging lessons that define important terms and explain concepts so that they're easy to understand. Take the accompanying lesson quizzes to solidify your understanding of the material and practice solving math problems on your own. Feel free to submit question to our instructors if you need any extra help, and be sure to take the final course assessment to make sure you're ready for the AFQT.
To register, you'll need to consult with a nearby military recruiter. If you meet basic eligibility requirements, your recruiter will be able to register you for the ASVAB at a nearby Military Entrance Test site or Military Entrance Processing Station.
AFQT is a registered trademark of the ASVAB Testing Program, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- Armed Forces Scholarships for Dependents
- Finding Work Abroad: What You Need to Know
- Become an Armed Forces Chef: Education and Career Roadmap
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- What You Need to Know About Transferring Credits
- What You Need To Know About The ParaPro Assessment
- Social Work Jobs in the Military
- Lesson Plan Design Courses and Classes Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses