- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 107
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
Course SummaryTeach your students essential AP English topics with our interactive AP English Language textbook course. Our learning tools, including engaging, short video lessons and self-assessment quizzes, help capture the attention of your students so they can earn better grades in class and on the AP English exam itself.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches AP English language can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most AP English language textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like prose nonfiction, rhetorical devices and variable sentence structure are perfect for briefly introducing an AP English language topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional English textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of similes, cliches, paradoxes and metaphors in literature.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online AP English language textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our AP English language textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring consanance, repitition, euphemism and other AP English language topics to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like symbolism and imagery easy to understand.
- Help Students Keep Up: Teachers can assign lessons directly from the course to students who need further help with specific AP English language topics or who missed class.
- Simple and Versatile: Teachers and students can access this AP English language and any Study.com course from any computer or mobile device.
- Student Progress Monitoring: Each lesson, chapter and course integrates assessment quizzes and exams that let teachers evaluate the effectiveness of the material and student comprehension of AP English language topics.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online AP English language textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in AP English language class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your teacher via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings AP English language lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb AP English language definitions and examples.
- Identify the AP English language topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging AP English language video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like developing an outline, writing logical sentences, brainstorming and writing a thesis statement.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any AP English language topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our AP English language course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about using transition sentences and writing effective conclusions.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in AP English language, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this AP English language course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand a AP English language concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Review the fundamentals of reading comprehension strategies
- Identify the various types of nonfiction prose
- Learn how to spot and use rhetorical devices
- Go over essay writing tips for the exam
- Explore basic essay writing practices
- Discover how to structure and write an essay
- Evaluate techniques for developing and revising essays
- Study grammar rules
- Establish how to cite and include source materials
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- How to Teach English As a Second Language
- English Language Class and Course Descriptions
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- How to Help Students Conduct Self-Assessments
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- Graduate English Courses and Classes Overview
- Online English Literature Courses and Classes
- English Literature Courses and Classes Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses