- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 108
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
This course can be found in: AP Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ AP study guides, and 3,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryOur AP English Language: Exam Prep course is designed to prepare you for the AP English Language and Composition exam. Through a series of short video lessons and interactive practice quizzes, you'll study all the information you need to know in order to earn a high score on this AP exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related AP Courses
About This Course
Build your reading comprehension skills and learn to write better essays through these online video lessons on the English language. Our lessons are brief but packed with the information you need to know to pass the Advanced Placement (AP) English Language and Composition Exam and gain college credit. Our experienced, knowledgeable instructors guide you through the essay-writing process, from brainstorming to revising, and introduce you to various styles of nonfiction writing, including biographies and articles. To test your knowledge of English language and composition, you can complete the self-assessment quizzes that accompany each video.
Check out our AP test prep materials! We've got AP courses to teach you the material, comprehensive AP study guides to help you study, AP practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational AP resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This engaging test prep course contains a series of video lessons that align with all the subjects that you'll be tested on when you sit for the AP English Language exam. These include rhetorical devices, writing and structuring an essay and using source materials. After completing this course, you should be ready to:
- Explain writing revision and skill development
- Structure and write an essay
- Begin the writing process successfully
- Detail the basics and conventions in essay writing
- Use source materials correctly
- Provide a review of grammar and rhetorical devices
We've put together ten chapters and a total of 108 bite-sized lessons designed to build your confidence ahead of the exam. Find out where extra study is needed by answering the questions on the lesson quizzes and chapter tests.
AP English Language Exam Information
Taking the AP English Language exam allows you to earn possible college credit and advanced placement in college classes.
- Number of Questions: 55-58
- Question Type: 52-55 multiple-choice questions and three free-response questions
- Time Limit: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- Exam Cost: $94
The Advanced Placement Exam (AP) is a registered trademark of College Board, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- English Language Arts Quizzes
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- English Language Arts Videos
- Language Quizzes
- Earn Your GED Online: GED Exam Information
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- How to Study for AP Tests
- What You Should Know Before Teaching English As a Second Language
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses