- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 161
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Overview of Literary Periods and Movements: A Historical Crash Course
Course SummaryOur AP English literature textbook covers all the same topics as standard AP English literature textbook but in a convenient, mobile-friendly format. Students can access these engaging video lessons and quizzes to study at home - without taking their textbook home.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches AP English literature can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most AP English literature textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like poetry, prose fiction, essay basics, rhetorical devices and American literary movements are perfect for briefly introducing an AP English literature topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional English literature textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of the methods for writing with good diction, using the active and passive voice, writing clear sentences and structuring paragraphs.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online AP English Literature textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our AP English literature textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring topics such as imagery, metaphors and similes to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like the elements of poetry easy to understand.
- Blended Learning: All of Study.com's courses are perfect solutions for a flipped classroom environment, blending classroom, digital and mobile learning into one package.
- Differentiated Instruction: Lessons give teachers the opportunity to fit each student's individual needs - through video lessons, lesson transcripts and assessment quizzes.
- Simple and Versatile: Teachers and students can access this AP English literature and any Study.com course from any computer or mobile device.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online AP English literature textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in AP English literature class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your teacher/instructor via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings AP English literature lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb AP English literature concepts, periods and movements, grammar basics and writing tactics.
- Identify the AP English literature topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging AP English literature video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like writing revision and the process of beginning the writing process.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any AP English literature topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our AP English literature course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about using rhetorical skills to write better essays and to evaluate reasoning in an article.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in AP English literature, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this AP English literature course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand an AP English literature concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Analyzing and interpreting literature
- Learning the importance of structure in writing
- Reviewing grammar skills
- Developing a point of view for an audience
- Learning about the various parts of fictional plots
- Understanding poetry
- Exploring the various literary periods
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- English Literature Degree Video: Career Options
- Why Buy a Textbook When You Can Rent?
- Textbook Rebels with a Cause
- How to Skip the Textbook and Still Earn an A
- Jobs Involving English Literature
- Can Open Education Save Students From Expensive Textbooks?
- Build-Your-Own Textbooks Could Save Students Hundreds
- Motivating Your Students to Read Literature As a New English Teacher
- Graduate Certificate Programs in English Literature
- Online Graduate Programs in English Literature
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses